• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to do with all my junk if I get OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighuggies

I'm applying for OCS 187, so...

if I get lucky and get in, what should I do with all my stuff? I have a one bedroom apartment, with couches, beds, tables, microwaves, 2x TVs, 2x stereo systems, desktop computer, 300+ CD's and DVD's, desks, shelves, clothes, sentimental value stuff (pictures, 3rd grade baseball jersey, etc.), silverware, plates, clothes, you name it.

I think I read somewhere that candidates shouldn't pack up just in case they get injured, but to pay $1000+ in rent to sit empty seems kinda ouchy.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
bighuggies said:
if I get lucky and get in, what should I do with all my stuff?

Here's a good solution... just box up all of your really cool and valuable stuff and send it to me. I'll take care of it. :icon_tong

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
You could always put it into storage for about 60-70 bucks a month. That's reasonable enough, but if you start handing out stuff to all these guys I'll take a TV, a microwave, and any baseball and/or football cards you have on hand.

manny7_99

Unless you can do the moving on your own or for a reasonable price, get a friend to rent it temp or just pay the rent. I could use the beds and couches.

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
My guess is that you are going to be very busy with OCS and any schooling that will come after that (depends on your designator) after that you will get send to your first duty station, from what I have read, this will span a good year or so and will require you to be mobile or at least it will make it easy on yourself. Personally, I dont mind living a bit spartan as I am hoping to get into OCS as well and just want to be able to focus on the job at hand and not have the worry of all that stuff. So what I would do is this: pack all your sentimental belongings and UPS them to your parents or close relatives that most likely will not move in the next few years, tell them just to keep it boxed so that when you are ready to get it back, all you have to do is pay for shipping it back. Now for the big items, couch, tv etc. how old are they and how do they look? are the latest greatest and are you attached to them? if not maybe consider selling them, that way when you finally arrive at your duty station you can buy something nice and new, after all officer pay is not all that bad. As suggested earlier you can always put stuff in storage but that would mean you are going to have to come back at some point in time and ship it your new address, furthermore, are you going to have the money to pay for year upfront? if not you will have to mess with a montly bill to take care of. Anyways, didnt mean to be long winded, its my $0.02 worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.