• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to do about my vision

Logtwo

Let me start with my essentials:

20/M
2.95 GPA
Currently in my second year of school
Have not yet taken the PRT or ASTB

So, here's the deal guys; I called my local opthamologist to figure out exactly where I stand as far as vision goes. Uncorrected I am at 20/100, so obviously way over the limit for a SNA spot. However, I know that SNA is what I have always wanted to do, so my question is; Should I just apply for NFO and be extremely happy to(assuming I get in, eventually) be serving my country and still be able to be in the air? Or should I get LASIK and hope for a "LASIK Aviator Test" slot that I have read about on here?

Obviously it would be really bad if I got LASIK and then couldn't even apply for a NFO slot, so I was just hoping to get some gouge from others in similar situations.

Also, I realize every applicant is different, and it changes from month to month, but what kind of grades and ASTB scores should I hope for to be BDCP competitive? I have searched on here and the info seems spotty.

I appreciate the help everyone.

Scruff

None
Contributor
Let me start with my essentials:

20/M
2.95 GPA
Currently in my second year of school
Have not yet taken the PRT or ASTB

So, here's the deal guys; I called my local opthamologist to figure out exactly where I stand as far as vision goes. Uncorrected I am at 20/100, so obviously way over the limit for a SNA spot. However, I know that SNA is what I have always wanted to do, so my question is; Should I just apply for NFO and be extremely happy to(assuming I get in, eventually) be serving my country and still be able to be in the air? Or should I get LASIK and hope for a "LASIK Aviator Test" slot that I have read about on here?

Obviously it would be really bad if I got LASIK and then couldn't even apply for a NFO slot, so I was just hoping to get some gouge from others in similar situations.

Also, I realize every applicant is different, and it changes from month to month, but what kind of grades and ASTB scores should I hope for to be BDCP competitive? I have searched on here and the info seems spotty.

I appreciate the help everyone.

All your answers lie here...

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Immy

Why not get PRK? PRK is waiverable, LASIK is not. (Or at least not usually)

For BDCP minimum GPA is 2.7, competitive is considered 3.0+.

That's what we were told when the NROTC unit here brought in the officer recruiter for all the college program mids.

blarged

ready
If you are only starting your second year of school, concentrate a lot of time raising the GPA. Without too many credit hours, a few A's should raise it pretty quickly.

As for eyes ... other people have the answers

nugget61

pilot
I think he meant PRK. If you really meant Lasik Log, then you really should get PRK instead. Lasik is starting to be waived for applicants, but the way I see it is, if you have to wait the same amount of time, why get the procedure that rocks the boat? And PRK has a higher perfect/better than perfect % than Lasik (according to my doc).

With regards to your situation, I'll tell you mine: My dream is to be a NA. I would be stoked to get NFO, but its just not my dream. So I got PRK. End of story. Get PRK. You won't regret it.

arianjalali

Nugget, can I get PRK as a civilian before I apply for the boards?

I've been reading through these threads and I can't seem to find anything that clearly says if I can or can't. All I see are posts from those who are in the BDCP. I am a civilian with my degree, but I need PRK in order to meet the criteria. What do I doooo?

blarged

ready

I've been reading through these threads and I can't seem to find anything that clearly says if I can or can't. All I see are posts from those who are in the BDCP. I am a civilian with my degree, but I need PRK in order to meet the criteria. What do I doooo?

Yes - PRK is waiverable. I believe you need to have it done 6 months prior to being eligible for PQ

Yoop

If you need to get your vision corrected make sure you get PRK. Don't be afraid to bug your nurses and your doctors about this all the way up to the point when they are turning on the laser. When I had mine done it was like a meat factory in there. The Doc literally looked at my chart on the way into the room and said "OK, you're getting the PRK done today I see." My point is you would hate to have someone screw up and give you the wrong procedure, permanently disqualifying you from flying.

With that said, I did have a good doctor, he just happened to work in a busy office. I would suggest trying to find a doctor with prior military experience. In my case the doctor had been in the Navy and worked with Sailors and Marines while obtaining his medical degree, so he was more than happy to do whatever it took to obtain the correct paper work and perform the necessary follow-ups.

Finally, get this done ASAP. I have been in the civilian work force for 2+ years when I decided the military is where I wanted to be. Because of that it has made the entire application process much longer. You have the luxury of being in school still. There is a 6 month waiting period after the surgery required. Your best bet is to contact your OSO and they will make sure you know everything you need to know regarding the procedure. You won't be disappointed with PRK. My doc tells me that if he hadn't performed the surgery there's no way he could tell I had it done. I went from 20/200 pre-surgery to 20/15 within a few months following. Doctor says there's a chance it could improve to 20/10 over time.

nugget61

pilot

Yes - PRK is waiverable. I believe you need to have it done 6 months prior to being eligible for PQ

Yup. I don't think you can get PRK after you have your FS in BDCP (they denied my request, said it was standard to do so).

If you need to get your vision corrected make sure you get PRK. Don't be afraid to bug your nurses and your doctors about this all the way up to the point when they are turning on the laser. When I had mine done it was like a meat factory in there. The Doc literally looked at my chart on the way into the room and said "OK, you're getting the PRK done today I see." My point is you would hate to have someone screw up and give you the wrong procedure, permanently disqualifying you from flying.

No offense, but I wouldn't classify a doc that hasn't familiarized himself with his patient before walking in the door a "good doctor". If he screws the pooch, you're going blind. Not something to mess around with.

Yoop

No offense, but I wouldn't classify a doc that hasn't familiarized himself with his patient before walking in the door a "good doctor". If he screws the pooch, you're going blind. Not something to mess around with.

That probably sounded worse than it was meant to. My point is that from what I understand of corrective laser surgery, up to the point of the laser hitting your eye, both LASIK and PRK follow a very similar procedure. Because LASIK is by far more popular than PRK, it would be easy for there to be a screw up. If you want to be a Naval Aviator that screw up is the end of your flying days. Nothing wrong with being a little over cautious.