• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What time does Liberty start?

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Just wondering what time liberty usually begins...I'm waiting on a phonecall from my husband, and I want to make sure I'm around when/if he calls. His plt. is supposed to be the "duty platoon" this weekend, so he may be restricted to base, but I think he will at least be able to make a phonecall...right?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Usually by 5 or 6 in the afternoon. Duty platoon is tasked with work details around the base and barracks, so if he's on a work detail he may not be free until later in the night.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
JZAB said:
Just wondering what time liberty usually begins...I'm waiting on a phonecall from my husband, and I want to make sure I'm around when/if he calls. His plt. is supposed to be the "duty platoon" this weekend, so he may be restricted to base, but I think he will at least be able to make a phonecall...right?

Don't get mad if he doesn't call. It's way crazy at OCS, and you can never tell if and/or when you'll get access to a phone. Unfortunately, this will be a common occurance in your marriage. Just ask my wife (who's back in the states while I'm here for a year). Good luck, and hang tough.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Believe me, he wants that phone call even more than you do. He'll do EVERYTHING in his power to get it at the earliest possible time. Technically, libo starts at noon, but the staff has all kinds of crazy ways to cut into it. If he doesn't have a cell phone, he'll have to (1) wait in line for a few hours at the payphones near the barracks, or (2) make his way to Q-town or off base and wait for fewer hours for those phones. Quite unpredictable.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
Don't get mad if he doesn't call. It's way crazy at OCS, and you can never tell if and/or when you'll get access to a phone. Unfortunately, this will be a common occurance in your marriage. Just ask my wife (who's back in the states while I'm here for a year). Good luck, and hang tough.

You must be ancient like me, they all ahve cell phones in the libo locker now. He will be able to call easily if he has a cell as for a time libo is sounded if this si the first libo it could be a while

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
skidkid said:
You must be ancient like me, they all ahve cell phones in the libo locker now. He will be able to call easily if he has a cell as for a time libo is sounded if this si the first libo it could be a while

I guess so. I remember vividly the line at the phone over by the barbershop. Every JACKASS would want to talk to whoever for 30 minutes to an hour with a line of 20-30 people stacked up. WTF??? How long have you been gone? A couple of weeks? You'll be home again in what, a couple of weeks?

All I wanted was to say hello, let my family know I had made it another week, and move on. 3 minutes, tops. Then all I wanted was to get something to eat without being hollered at, and get some stinking sleep.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just start screamin' .... "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH !!!!"

Navy ... Marines ... Army ... Air Force ... Salvation Army .... even Coasties ..... it always works ... :)

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Harrier Dude said:
I remember vividly the line at the phone over by the barbershop.

There's now a bank of 6 or so phones at the barracks end of the grinder. Half of them don't work and there was always a line.

Then all I wanted was to get something to eat without being hollered at, and get some stinking sleep.

That hasn't and will never change.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Thanks for all your messages...my husband finally called on Saturday night around 9pm. They were restricted to base on Saturday because they were the "duty platoon," so I drove from Fairfax to Quantico (about 45 min.) to have pepperoni pizza and coke with my husband at Sam's Inn and Bar..some rundown place in Qtown. Today (Sunday) he drove home at 10am when they were released, and for the most part, slept all day until he had to go back.