• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What should I study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotvmi

I reported for primary up at Whiting about 3 weeks ago and as of right now Im still not starting anytime soon. We were all given all of our books at that time. What should I study(besides EPs, those are a given)? What are the most important chapters in the NATOPS?

hellodollies

study your systems book, the class really isnt hard but getting it out of the way will also make your briefs easier. it wouldnt hurt to start reading the contact FTI, dont worry about reading the NATOPS cover to cover and dont worry about reading any of the inst. FTI yet, you will have plenty of time. getting your course rules memorized will help alot also.

Bevo16

pilot
Go to the sim building and study your checklist and EP's in one of the mock-ups. It is a hell of a lot easier to just say the steps to yourself and think that you know them than it is to actually say them out loud and do the steps. Systems and all that jazz is important, but if you know your EP's cold before you start you will have a really easy time in primary. The checklist is the best way to learn you way around the cockpit. All of the systems knowledge does not do you any good if you don't know where any of the switches are that control the systems. Depending on how much free time you have, I would study in this order:

Checklist
EP's
Landing pattern
Fam Maneuvers
Systems

I put systems last because they have ground school classes for that stuff. Don't forget to take a little time for yourself. The redfish are really hitting hard at Trout Point over at NASP right now. That is where I would be spending my evenings.

Reactions: bch

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I completely agree with Bevo. Study in that order. SMOKE THAT CHECKLIST. nothing will impress an IP more on the early fams, than a student that can run the checklist professionally and efficeintly inorder to get to the A/C ASAP.

EP's the more work you do on the now, the easier fams will be.

And lastly FAM manuvers. Make sure you know them cold on the ground. Becuase the T-34C has a "student memory eraser switch" in it. It you are even a little foggy on the ground, there is no way you will recall it in the air, when you got an IP naggin, radios goin, and prop roarin.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Dude, find someone who is getting ready for their contact checkride and walk through a pre-flight with them. It will only take an hour and will help a lot for systems.

Other than that, BEVO has it right if you are looking to get ahead. Me, I just enjoyed my time off and worked twice as hard once I started ... but I'm lazy that way.

thundersquid

pilot
Another guy and I are waiting in the pool right now also. The stuff we have been finding useful is:

1) The preflight plane out on the flight line helps alot with systems. You can open the engine cowlings and see where everything is at. You can also go through the preflight checklist out there and it helps. Also, while you are out there, you can watch everyone takeoff and land. I know it sounds dumb, but we usually talk through all the takeoff and landing checklists and procedures as we watch everyone else doing them.

2) Also, go to the student learning center and you can get into those CPT trainer mock ups (looks like a cockpit but none of the switches or gauges actually work).

3) There are also MS flight simulators in the learning center that you can use. What is really cool about them is you can have it play a movie of some of the fam maneuvers. In any case, it helps with walking through procedures, course rules, and visualizing what you have to do for some of the maneuvers.

4) Also there is a systems classroom in the building next to the simulator building that is really cool for practicing the cockpit checklists (all the gauges and switches start up and you actually start a "computer" plane)

We get together at least once a week at the squadron and go over alot of this stuff also. Other than that we study alot on our own. You are welcome to study with us if you want. Just PM me.

thundersquid

pilot
bch said:
SMOKE THAT CHECKLIST. nothing will impress an IP more on the early fams, than a student that can run the checklist professionally and efficeintly inorder to get to the A/C ASAP.

So do you mean to memorize the checklists. Or do you mean just have done them so many times that the responses and actions are familiar and the checklist that is in our binder can be used as a backup?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only memorize the boldface EPs and ensuing notes, warnings, and cautions. For non-boldface EPs and the startup/shutdown checklists, you will be able to use the blue brain and PCL to back yourself up. Do it. There's no way you're going to start the thing up from memory and not miss anything, esp. on early FAMs. Don't make it a race for the startup checklist, either. Be expeditious but not so "fast" that you end up missing steps or mixing them up.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
thundersquid said:
So do you mean to memorize the checklists. Or do you mean just have done them so many times that the responses and actions are familiar and the checklist that is in our binder can be used as a backup?

By NO means, memorize the checklist. It is a checklist for a reason. That being said, you want to be able to move through it quickly.... IE don't be like the guy who sits up there and starts like this, " Seatbelt...uh...uh fastened and adjusted.....Pedals....(have them adjusted b4 you get to that part of the checklist)....PCL.... ugh (fumbling to remember where it is).... idle... "

you get the picture.

As far as bold and non bold faced EPs. MEMORIZE them all. You are in a training command, and therefore will be expected to KNOW them all verbatum. Myself and many others have tried the "break out the PCL" routine on a non memory item EP..... WRONG ANSWER. Maybe in the fleet, but as long as you are in the training command, know ALL the EP's, Notes, Warning and Cautions. It is not that hard.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
bch said:
As far as bold and non bold faced EPs. MEMORIZE them all. You are in a training command, and therefore will be expected to KNOW them all verbatum. Myself and many others have tried the "break out the PCL" routine on a non memory item EP..... WRONG ANSWER. Maybe in the fleet, but as long as you are in the training command, know ALL the EP's, Notes, Warning and Cautions. It is not that hard.

I disagree ... I always broke out the checklist for non-memory items. I had two instructors during RIs get pissed because I didn't break out the PCL. I made sure I was familiar with the checklists but didn't memorize them all. Only one time did I meet any resistance to that philosophy, and it was in a BI sim.

I've heard plenty of people say that they should be memorized (ie. non-memory items), and if I had extra time and was really bored I might do it, but I did just fine throughout primary without memorizing them.

I definately would know all of the notes/warnings/cautions verbatum (for the memory checklists).

Best bet (if you ask me) is to learn the memory checklists, then work on other stuff until you start up. When you get an on-wing you can ask whether he or she wants you to memorize all of the other procedures.

thundersquid

pilot
VarmintShooter said:
I disagree ... I always broke out the checklist for non-memory items. I had two instructors during RIs get pissed because I didn't break out the PCL. I made sure I was familiar with the checklists but didn't memorize them all. Only one time did I meet any resistance to that philosophy, and it was in a BI sim.

I've heard plenty of people say that they should be memorized (ie. non-memory items), and if I had extra time and was really bored I might do it, but I did just fine throughout primary without memorizing them.

I definately would know all of the notes/warnings/cautions verbatum (for the memory checklists).

Best bet (if you ask me) is to learn the memory checklists, then work on other stuff until you start up. When you get an on-wing you can ask whether he or she wants you to memorize all of the other procedures.

They gave us a MIF sheet for the CPT's at book issue that lists a handful (about 21) EP's and I have been just memorizing those for now. Doing that in addition to practicing the checklists, flying the basic fam maneuvers on the MS sims, studying the preflight checklist and systems stuff, memorizing all the limitations, and reading through the contact FTI should keep me pretty busy through christmas. Hopefully, I'll start primary in early jan.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll agree with Varmint. I was actually dinged on FAM 11 for forgetting to break out my PCL for an in-flight landing gear emergency extension. Know it but if it's not memory back yourself up w/ the PCL.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
VT-3 has an Op Limits/EP quiz that you can pick up in their pub room. Good way to study/test yourself. If you are headed to VT-3 you'll have to take it before you solo (and complete it in 45 minutes).

Sounds like you are hitting it hard. Good for you.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
for primary, there were a little anal about memorizing ALL the EPs... at least in Corpus. They couldn't seem to distinguish between memory and non-memory items. In advanced, if you don't break out the PCL for non-memory EPs, you are wrong. Play their games in primary and learn them all, learn the ditties for things like the PEL (turn, climb, clean, check, determine, deliver, reduce, lower, report or somesuch -- booya..can't believe i remembered that) or you'll be behind. When you get to advanced, they'll start training you more in the real-world ways.

airpirate25

Grape Ape...Grape Ape
memorize bad...understand good...checklists might have the only thing in primary that made perfect sense from the get go

Status
Not open for further replies.