• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What should i do?

Brown399

Hey every one, what's goin on?

I'm applying to colleges right now (and in the next month or so) and want to join the navy after i'm done. I'm going to be majoring in either physics, or more likely, aerospace engineering. Unfortunately, none of the three colleges i'm applying to have an NROTC program.

So far i've been accepted to University of Texas El paso (has an Army ROTC)
And still have to send my applications to the University of North Dakota and small home state school named the University of Minnesota Morris (a part of the U of M). All of which have at least one form of an ROTC program.

Here's the kicker.

I don't plan on staying at any of these three schools for over two years, and am planing on transfering to a school with an NROTC program (Purdue). (for those with questions as to why; my freshman-sophomore year grades ate shit, leaving me with a sr. year gpa of about 2.2).

Could i do summer ROTC? (as i am not planing on taking any summers off until i am accepted to Purdue or another school with a good engineering program)...or is it possible to 'transfer' to a different military rotc program without 'loosing progress'?

any additional relevant info would be appreciated;

thanks.

Immy

You could apply for a two year NROTC sholarship to Purdue during your Sophomore year. From what I understand you'd have to go to NSI over your Soph-Junior year summer to catch up with everyone else. I don't think you can transfer from an Army ROTC program to a Navy ROTC program and be on the same page, if that's what you're asking, you'd still have to apply for the 2 year NROTC scholarship regardless as you cannot continue on in ROTC your junior year without a scholarship or advanced standing.

As someone who knows firsthand right now that NROTC scholarships are few and far between (other than the 4 year out of high school), I'd advise you to look into the BDCP.

Just my limited $.02.

WEGL12

VT-28
I am in a similar situation so I might be able to clear some things up for you. I will be transferring to a university (next fall) after completing two years at a community college. Most units will allow you to transfer in if you are a freshman or sophomore. I know at Auburn, they allow sophomores to join the unit. Only catch is, you have to double up on the NROTC classes (to catch up) and attend the orientation the week before classes start. Not a huge deal in my opinion. You would join the unit as a college program student and compete for a scholarship that way. Only problem with this choice is very few college program students received scholarships this past academic year (I was told this by the unit's recruiting officer and members of this board). However, the commander of the unit can give out one scholarship each year called the PNS scholarship. This is completely in house to the unit and if you have good grades when you transfer you many be selected after a semester. Another option is to apply for the two year scholarship if you have two years remaining before graduation. I believe this scholarship is pretty rare also. I would suggest looking into BDCP, it is a very good deal but it is nothing like NROTC. Personally I am applying for BDCP while strongly considering NROTC as a college programmer. Since you are a few years away from transferring, the NROTC situation for college program students may be completely different so you never know. Hope this helps in some way or another.

WEGL12

VT-28
As someone who knows firsthand right now that NROTC scholarships are few and far between (other than the 4 year out of high school), I'd advise you to look into the BDCP.

So I guess this means nothing has changed in terms of college program students for this spring or next fall? The recruiting officer at the unit I am looking at joining actually advised not to join as a college program student because of what happened last year. He also mentioned something about a Tweedale scholarship which I don't know much about. But the OP could also apply for this since he is a technical major. I am looking into it also.

Brown399

thanks to the both of you, very helpful.

I assumed that i wouldn't be able to start in an army rotc and switch to NROTC, but hey, worth a shot lol

thanks for the advice about BDCP, quick question about that now; i checked it out briefly, and noticed that i would (obviously) be commissioned through OCS..would that hurt an NFO/Aviator application in the same way that normal OCS applicants are? (In that many more pilots are selected through ROTC/Academy commissions than OCS)

WEGL12

VT-28
thanks for the advice about BDCP, quick question about that now; i checked it out briefly, and noticed that i would (obviously) be commissioned through OCS..would that hurt an NFO/Aviator application in the same way that normal OCS applicants are? (In that many more pilots are selected through ROTC/Academy commissions than OCS)

No, I don't think it hurts your chances. From my understanding the demands of OCS change each year. Some years a large number of SNA/NFO go to OCS and then other years not as many. It all hinges on the needs of the Navy. My personal advice is never let the "odds" scare you into not applying. Just be determined to get a commission, keep a high GPA, do good on the ASTB and things will work out.

Immy

Yeah, keep your grades up, do some extra-curriculars, major in something you can see yourself doing if the Navy doesn't work out, and apply when you can.

Pretty much the formula I'm going by now.

And w/ regards to the NROTC scholarships, nothing has changed this year. There's the one PNS scholarship and the Tweedale if you're a technical major. For my school that's about 2-3 scholarships for 20-25 college programmers.