• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very much interested in joining the Navy through a commissioning program but am confused on exactly which path would work best for me. My only problem will be my high school transcript. In high school I was more into having fun rather than focusing on my grades. I regret every minute of it. But I did complete High School. My GPA was terrible and I failed and retaken quite a few classes. I always made A's and B's in math and science though. However I have finally changed and this is something that will NEVER happen again. Anyway, let's move on to my postives. I took the ASVAB last year and made an 84 (second time, 81 first), I have just recently taken the ACT and made 28. I plan to take SATs really soon and I may retake the ACT because I believe I can do better than a 28. Did I permanently mess myself up in highschool or is there a way to get back on track and get commissioned?

My questions are these: 1) Which path should I take to get commissioned into the Navy and become an Aviator? I was thinking of Enlisting and letting the Navy pay for college and either apply for a program like STA-21, or just trying to complete my degree in my 4 year enlisted commitment and apply for OCS when done. However, I have been told that it is really hard to complete a 4 year degree while in the Navy and that I would be better off doing the college before joing the Navy and just applying for OCS or NROTC. Also I have heard that it is nearly impossible to get picked up by one of the enlisted-to-officer programs without having some college already finished. So What Should I do here?

My second question: 2) I am also interested in a program like NROTC but I highly doubt with my high school transcript that it will be an option. But what if I get some financial aid and go to a college for 2 years and take all my basic classes of the degree I am interested in (Electronic Engineering) and do REALLY well, and then apply for NROTC? Could I get picked and do my remaining 2 years at a better college and graduate into the Navy as an Officer (also assuming the fact that I will make an extremely great grade on the ASTB)?

My third question: 3) If I go the route mentioned above what kind of college should I look at getting into? Would just a community college do? Like for instance, would they let me transfer my credits (for 2 years) from a community college to a NROTC college that accepts me?

Help me! This is something that I really want to do and I will do whatever it takes for however long it takes to get it done. I want to FLY! I just need a chance to re-prove myself that I am worthy of commitment considering how poorly I did in high school. Hopefully I can do that in college and work my way up. Sorry this post is so long.

Thank you for any help,
Michael Walden

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
And for my second word of advice...

...ONE GOAL AT A TIME. However, if you want to have a secret plan, that's fine...just don't base everything on wanting to fly, "letting" the Navy pay for college, or any such way-too-early drivel. I'm not knocking your career goals, but the best way to "re-prove yourself [sic]" worthy of committment is to make a committment to something. If you're leaning towards enlisting, or towards college/OCS, or to an Academy...do it...and commit yourself to it. The rest will either fall into place or not, but asking a bunch of career officers and likewise new recruits what YOU should do, though totally allowed, is not likely to net you answers...whereas to go out into the world and experience these things will provide you all the answers you need. There are no dead ends except those you create, and those unforeseeable ones that life throws at you.
Don't make the mistake of leading a contrived youth, pick up a copy of "Master and Commander", "Starship Troopers", or "The Uppity Left Wing Peace Corps Manual On How Not To Get Killed By The People You Are Trying To Help"
...and make the call. Today.

cougar23

Well, for starters, I think that you should pursue ALL of your options. One thing that I and FAIRLY sure that is true, if you get accepted/attend a school with NROTC, you should be able to take the Navy classes. The school I go to only has AFROTC, but the way it was structured, anyone that was a member of the school could take the first two years of ROTC classes, some would do it just to have the experience, and they were mixed in with those that were doing if with doing the four year program and becoming an officer in mind. That being said, the only thing that I think your high school gardes would affect would be you getting into whatever college, or if you tried to get the NROTC scholarship.

With regards to which school to go to, I personally would not recommend and community colleges as the first choice. As I've said, I woud look at schools that already have NROTC affiliations AND are strong engineering universities. Otherwise, you can go to colleges(whether it be four-year or a two-year jr. college and then two final years at a university) and then try to apply for OCS. Plus, is you did well in your first two years of college, you've got the option of BDCP (if you're unaware of what that is, there's an entire section devoted to it on this site, you can find all the information you need).

Again, this is all just my personal opinions, while also trying to clear up what would be possible out of each of the routes open to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.