• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

what should I do if....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm applying for the third time this month for SNFO and I'm really nervous because I am graduating from college after next semester (in April!) The reason I'm nervous is because if I don't get in this time, I wont know what to do after I graduate.
banghead_125.gif
I meen, I would be applying again after I graduate
graduate_125.gif
(and again and again 'till they take me), but what should I do in the meantime? Should I try to get a regular job or should I try to get into grad school? I guess I need to come up with a back up plan soon and I don't know which one would be better.
indifferent_125.gif
I hope what I'm asking makes sence... Anyone got any ideas?

mlj0215

Get your resume together. Get a job. You can always tell your new employer that your not coming if you get accepted. I was in the same boat, and its a good thing I applied for jobs early. Man, don't burn bridges.....leave all your options open. It's better to have opportunities to turn down than to graduate and go live with mom/dad. Good luck!

av8tor

I'm somewhat confused by your comment of having applied three times in one month. Does this mean your have applied and been turned down three times? Unfortunately, any advise given to you by another would be at best misguided. Although, since you asked, I would advise you to shop around, i.e. the Air Force has navigators, the Marines has NFO's (both officer and enlisted - few people know that the nav's on the 130's in the Marines are enlisted). Enlisting in the NAvy's aircrew is also an option. I know that enlisting may not seem glamourous at first, but if you have a plan to continue your pursuit of obtaining an commission this is a viable option to improve your chances. The Navy currently has enlisted aircrew members on the S-3, E-2, P-3, EP-3, and E-6. The O vs. E. line is extremely gray in the aviation community, so you won't be treated as an unequal. As far as the pay, enlisted members don't do half bad anymore. Plus, in all honesty those who have served in the enlisted ranks have an unfair advantage over thier non-prior officer brethren since they understand the system and how to work the system to get things accomplished. I have a lot of respect for Mustangs. They also understand the necessity to generate as many point papers as possible close to fitrep time, kidding. They are also paid according to a higher payscale as officers up to the rank of Lieutenant Commander and many don't have to fear being passed over before retirement.

Oh, I didn't mean I applied three times in one month... I applied in April, then September and now I will be for the third time. (been turned down twice) I can't go air force nav because I'm too short (my usaf recruter told me last year when I was looking at both that you have to be 5'4 to fly, it can be waved to 5'2, but that doesn't do me any good) but I think I might start looking at the marines if I don't get accepted again this time. I have also thought about going enlisted but I've been told by sooo many people not to... how long would it take to go to OCS after I became enlisted if I did do it that way?

JKD

Normally you will have to complete your initial training and settle into your command before you will be able to get your CO's recommendation. I've heard of some applying in the training pipeline, but I'm not sure that's the norm. Each enlisted job will have it's own training school, each with different lengths.
I enlisted in a 2 year program (which I don't think is offered anymore) with a 6 week apprentice school after boot camp, which was 8 weeks at the time. I applied for a 4-year NROTC Scholarship about 9 months after reporting to the command (which was about 1 year total service). I was a non-select, and chose to get out the next year to go to college instead of staying in.
After many years broken service, I'm finally finishing my degree and applying to OCS. To complicate things I re-enlisted in the reserves just over a year ago (needed the money, and wanted to get my foot back in the door). Re-enlisting has had it's benefits, but now after spending 8 months in a training pipeline, I have to ask my command to sign a form to release me from my current contract if I'm accepted to OCS. Another issue is my recent evals are "not observed" because I've been in a training status.
With that in mind, enlist because you want to enlist, not because your going to use it as a stepping stone for the officer ranks. Applying as an enlisted member should give you a plus on the application, but it is also more of a hassle to apply than if you are a civilian (I question my decision to re-enlist at times).
If you wouldn't be content serving your entire contract in the enlisted ranks, I suggest you don't enlist. If you would be content, then it may not be a bad idea, knowing you can work towards your goal to become an officer.

(just my take on it...)

cierno31

Originally posted by dsweeney
Normally you will have to complete your initial training and settle into your command before you will be able to get your CO's recommendation. I've heard of some applying in the training pipeline, but I'm not sure that's the norm. Each enlisted job will have it's own training school, each with different lengths.
I enlisted in a 2 year program (which I don't think is offered anymore) with a 6 week apprentice school after boot camp, which was 8 weeks at the time. I applied for a 4-year NROTC Scholarship about 9 months after reporting to the command (which was about 1 year total service). I was a non-select, and chose to get out the next year to go to college instead of staying in.
After many years broken service, I'm finally finishing my degree and applying to OCS. To complicate things I re-enlisted in the reserves just over a year ago (needed the money, and wanted to get my foot back in the door). Re-enlisting has had it's benefits, but now after spending 8 months in a training pipeline, I have to ask my command to sign a form to release me from my current contract if I'm accepted to OCS. Another issue is my recent evals are "not observed" because I've been in a training status.
With that in mind, enlist because you want to enlist, not because your going to use it as a stepping stone for the officer ranks. Applying as an enlisted member should give you a plus on the application, but it is also more of a hassle to apply than if you are a civilian (I question my decision to re-enlist at times).
If you wouldn't be content serving your entire contract in the enlisted ranks, I suggest you don't enlist. If you would be content, then it may not be a bad idea, knowing you can work towards your goal to become an officer.

(just my take on it...)
Applying in the training pipeline is more common than you think (Especially for Nuclear because it is so competitive). I'm going to get my package together during A school and apply during Nuclear Power School.

Status
Not open for further replies.