• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What should I be asking the recruiter for?

Dougemd

Hey Guys,

I've taken the ASTB and I'm having my physical on Tuesday along with the diagnostic test etc... I'm assuming once passing both of these I will be of more interest to my OSO. I was wondering what is available to me in the ways of signing up bonuses. What I'm trying to say is are there any student loan payback options I should be looking at or signing bonuses I should be asking for? Are there other things I should be requesting that the OSO isn't going to tell me about unless I ask for them specifically?

Thanks.

KBayDog

I'll let the younger folks on this board (who have more recent experience with OSOs) get into the specifics, but in general, don't expect any "signing bonuses." Unless things have changed drastically, the only tangible things the Marines offer are training and relative job security/steady paycheck for 4-8 years.

It never hurts to ask, though.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
No bonuses, well...they pay you for training during the summer. I believe the only people who get money for loans are are the JAG bubbas, and that is after they make O-3 or something like that. Other than that there's Financial assistance program (FAP) and Tuition Assistance Program (MCTAP), ask your OSO about them.

Marine4life

You must complete the PLC Jrs course, or the PLC-Combined course before you can receive any financial assistance.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
here's my theory on why the Marine Corps doesn't give signing bonuses....they dont even have enough money to buy new equiptment, let alone bribe people to join, so they did what the Marine Corps does best, they addapted, and only take people that want to be Marines, not people that want to join the military for the benefits. but as far as college loans etc, after your 1st increment of OCS, you can apply for tuition assistance, and the stipend. If your gpa is above a 2.0 (which if it isnt you wont get accepted) and are a full time student (once again, if you arent, you wont get accepted) they will pay your tuition and you get something like 300/month. However, if you dont take the money, my understanding is that oyur pay-entry date, is the first day you went to OCS, so you can make more money if you plan on going career, because your years of service (regarding pay) is higher than if you took the money, because if you take the money, your pay-entry date is day 1 of commissioning. (someone correct me if i'm wrong) this is just my understanding

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
If you take the tuition assistance (MCTAP) you will lose your pay entry base date (PEBD). This is the date that signifies your entry into the military for pay purposes only. If you don't take the tuition assistance, this date will be the day you sign your contract. If you don't know what a contract is PM me and I'll spin you up.

If you do accept the MCTAP, your PEBD will be the day of your commissioning (I believe). Also, your existing contract will be extended by one year. Doing this usually results in your losing a hefty sum of money per month while in the Marine Corps so most OSO discourage candidates from taking this route unless completely neccessary. Also, if you get hurt at OCS or do not take your commission for any reason, you will owe any of this money you recieved from MCTAP back to the Marine Corps.

Financial Assistance Program (or FAP) is often taken by candidates. It is a $300 monthly stipend payed once per semester. It does not reset your PEBD and only extends your contract by 6 mos. Also, if you do not commission for any reason, you don't have to pay it back. It's nice to get that extra $1200 per semester.

If you already have a college degree, good for you, these programs don't apply.

I hope this clear. Good Luck and Semper Fi, Doc

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
great post DocT. That actually cleared up some questions that I wasnt sure how to word. Thanks again!