• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

Megan Barrow

First time poster - I've been browsing around AW for a while now but can't find anything about this, but feel free to let me know if this info is already on here somewhere:

It is my goal to become a naval aviator and I am planning on starting the application process for OCS soon, but am wondering how critical current field of employment is in terms of making me a competitive applicant. To give you some background, I graduated college last May as an Information Technology major and have been working in IT since, but would like to leave this job for something with less demanding hours so that I can prepare for the ASTB and focus on getting in better shape. Would this look bad/make me less competitive if I am not working in a technical field? I appreciate any help or insight, thanks!

Phoenix19917

I would/will retake it, my OR wants me to submit with these current scores since I'm still in school and have time to retake if I get a No. I was just trying to get an idea of where I stand with those scores. Thank you both for responding and providing your valued insight !

Blinkygeek

I've been doing the waiting game for so long that I actually stopped the daily AW check for the upcoming boards. It wasn't until yesterday, about 6 months into my journey to become an officer, that I realized "in two weeks, someone will be deciding my future!" Scary. So now, I've become as obsessed as ever. After being medically disqualified for some (color deficiency), and age disqualified for others (I'm so old), my options have narrowed to only a few including one of the only designators I wanted anyway--IDC. Now, for whatever reason, I'm actually curious about my likelihood of being selected. So, here are some stats!

OAR: 58 5/5/6 (I know I could improve it, but did not retake per recruiter's recommendation)
GPA: 3.3 (I know, a little low)
Major: BS-Psychology (I know, the wrong major)
Work Experience: 10 years in management, 8 of which was in the technology field. (One of my "saving grace")
LORs: College professors and employers (no Navy officers)

I'm pretty happy with my package, overall, though I certainly recognize some of the weaknesses. Whether fortunately or unfortunately, this will probably be the only time a board will see my application. My fingers are crossed.

jgoulet

I have decided that I want to become an officer in the Navy as a Naval Aviator upon graduation from college. I spoke to a recruiter a few days ago who really pushed for me to go with a NUPOC college program. It's a damn good program, but the more I think about it, the more I think about how if I do that program, I will never even have the chance to become a Naval Aviator and I will likely regret that for the rest of my life. I haven't taken the ASTB yet, but here is what I'm bringing to the table.

Major: Engineering Physics, Concentration: Aerospace Engineering
GPA: 3.15 (My GPA has increased every semester, there is noticeable improvement each semester)

I am also currently taking flight lessons to become a private pilot and should have that finished this summer. My GPA started low as I was a different person when I started college than I am today. I want to become an officer in the Navy more than anything, and I want to be a Naval Aviator. If I have to forgo my dream of being a Naval Aviator, so be it, but I want to know from the officers that read this, how can I become a better candidate?

MemphisBell

pilot
@jgoulet, just take the ASTB and score at least 50 6/6/6 and make sure you are within standards on medical and I think you should have a great shot at getting selected. The application process is long but the sooner, the better. There is a pilot board next week so I think that will put the next one around the October time range, so if I were you I would plan on getting everything ready for that board. Good luck and remember to study hard for the ASTB.

jgoulet

@MemphisBell, I didn't mention it above, but I'm going into my Junior year of college. I've read that I should wait until I am about six months away from graduation before applying for OCS. Is it possible to apply earlier than that for when I graduate? Or would my application just get buried?

MemphisBell

pilot
@jgoulet, Im actually not sure since I graduated 3 years ago but I have heard 6 months but I have also heard 1 year. If your recruiter told you 6 months than I would put all my effort into studying and do as well as you can on the ASTB.

exNavyOffRec

@MemphisBell, I didn't mention it above, but I'm going into my Junior year of college. I've read that I should wait until I am about six months away from graduation before applying for OCS. Is it possible to apply earlier than that for when I graduate? Or would my application just get buried?

6 months is the norm, they bumped it to a year for a bit but that was a while ago and for a short time, you can take your ASTB now to see how you do.

Philly93

I graduate next year and am hoping to get on the Winter 2016 boards. Just wanted to get a feel for where I stand.

Applying for: SNA
Major: Political Science
GPA: 3.4
ASTB: 5/7/5 45(2nd time taking it, OR said score is good but it seems low to me)
LASIK: 5/20/15
MEPS: 11/20/15
PPL: 25 hrs. (planning to have license by boards)
LOR's: Navy JAG O-6, AF O-6, O-5, Professor, State Senator Chief of Staff
Experience: Current intern for Presidential Candidate, President of a language club on campus, Community Service Chair of Fraternity, Ocean Lifeguard, Civil Air Patrol

Last edited: