• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

chaos0722

Hello everybody. I wanted to see where I'll stand when submitting my package.
Active Duty: CTT1 (IW/SW/AW), 12 years
Evals: MP (Periodic) 6 of 21, MP (Periodic), EP (Transfer)
Undergrad: 3.0 GPA
OAR: 53
LORs: 0-7, O-6, O-5
Applying for: INTEL, SWO-IP, IP, possibly SWO

AULANI

Just going off the stats from my Intel class I would say your GPA is kinda low, most everyone is in the 3.65+ range. Everything else looks comparable though. Good luck!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

You can apply for the first two, but in the event you’re not selected I would recommend considering applying for SWO #1 and only choice. You can’t have SWO as a third choice FYI.

@AULANI hit it with the low GPA. What’s your major? Assuming it’s a non-STEM degree that will hurt for IWC.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I would echo what the other 2 have said, if non-stem go for Intel and SWO, with a lower GPA you want to get the best chance you can.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don’t bother applying for Intel or Supply. Your degree or GPA (for Intel) don’t align with either.
Really? Used to be history was one of the preferred majors for Intel. I put plenty of history majors in Intel. IMO, it makes sense.

My son was a history major. Before deciding to go to law school he was pursuing a couple intel options on the civ side. His degree was never an issue.

exNavyOffRec

Really? Used to be history was one of the preferred majors for Intel. I put plenty of history majors in Intel. IMO, it makes sense.

My son was a history major. Before deciding to go to law school he was pursuing a couple intel options on the civ side. His degree was never an issue.

Everything is going tech, even the Intel officers I worked with on recruiting said they wouldn't have been picked up by the current selection stats, it isn't just the USN either, one of the big schools I would attend career fairs at would attract 3 letter agencies to their agencies and of course all government gets grouped together, they wouldn't give a student the time of day if you didn't have a STEM degree, they said non-STEM are a dime a dozen and you better have a fantastic GPA and resume.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Two big reasons:

1. Boards want 60/40 STEM vs. Non-STEM majors selected.
2. For every 1 liberal arts (history, international relations, poli sci, etc.) major I find, there's probably 10 more out there. They are a dime a dozen and far outnumber the STEM types applying.

I'm not saying a non-STEM will not get picked up, but they better have a STRONG application to include high GPA and a high OAR score. There were a few I've seen, one who was English who got a 4.0 GPA and another girl who had a 3.9 Criminology GPA. I personally put in a 3.95 GPA Poli Sci grad as a CW, but he was a former CT which I believe helped his case.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dont want to restart a debate over STEM vs Liberal Arts, but intel guys research, write, forecast and analyze . That just happens to be what most liberal arts programs are about. I get the rockin GPA thing. But if a 3.5 in EE is "smarter" than a 3.8 in History it doesn't mean he can communicate worth a damn or consume volumes of written information and make sense of it all. Hell the biggest problem with recruiting NUPOCs was finding one with a life and personality.

chaos0722

You can apply for the first two, but in the event you’re not selected I would recommend considering applying for SWO #1 and only choice. You can’t have SWO as a third choice FYI.

@AULANI hit it with the low GPA. What’s your major? Assuming it’s a non-STEM degree that will hurt for IWC.
My degree is in Information Technology Management

Sojournex

Hello Air Warriors Community,

Like most who post on this thread I was hoping for a bit of input on my competitiveness. I visited my recruiter and he told me he didn’t know, which I found odd because I would imagine a good recruiter should be able to identify a strong/weak candidate. Anyway, I am currently finishing up a master’s degree and am planning on putting in some packages early next year with the intention of going to OCS IF selected next fall after I get my degree. I am interested in the following three options (for now) listed in order of preference.
  • SWO (INTEL Option)
  • INTEL
  • Naval Aviator (Pilot)
If anyone can offer some insight into my competitiveness for each of these, especially the SWO Intel option which I haven't found a whole lot of information on, I would greatly appreciate it. Below I have listed what I think is relevant information about me. All of this will be the same come next year when I apply.
  • 21 years old (not a typo)
  • Master’s Degree (in progress) MBA with Economics Concentration ~3.7 GPA
  • Bachelor’s Degree BS in Economics with minors in PoliSci and International Studies 3.2 GPA
  • 1.5 years full time work as an analyst for a bank, only analyst assigned to a $50 mil portfolio (have collateral duty of writing economic reports for board of directors)
  • Honors Student in Undergrad
  • Marshal of my Fraternity
  • President of college chapter of one of the two major political parties
  • Peer mentor to new freshmen honors students
  • Studied abroad in South America
  • High School Cadet Commander of NJROTC unit (Highest Possible)
  • National champion for LandNav and Academic competition for NJROTC
  • Haven’t taken the OAR yet but do have these test scores if they are indicators:
    • ACT: 32
    • ASVAB: 98
  • Have some flight hours but no license
  • Meet h/w and have clean medical history, cleared by FAA for previous flight training
  • Recommendation letters:
    • O-5 – Navy Intel Officer
    • O-6 – Air Force Pilot, West Point Grad
    • O-4 – NJROTC Instructor
    • College Professor I worked for as a research assistant/studied abroad with
Thanks again for any insight, I have already gotten so many questions answered from this community and I appreciate it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Hello Air Warriors Community,

Like most who post on this thread I was hoping for a bit of input on my competitiveness. I visited my recruiter and he told me he didn’t know, which I found odd because I would imagine a good recruiter should be able to identify a strong/weak candidate. Anyway, I am currently finishing up a master’s degree and am planning on putting in some packages early next year with the intention of going to OCS IF selected next fall after I get my degree. I am interested in the following three options (for now) listed in order of preference.
  • SWO (INTEL Option)
  • INTEL
  • Naval Aviator (Pilot)
If anyone can offer some insight into my competitiveness for each of these, especially the SWO Intel option which I haven't found a whole lot of information on, I would greatly appreciate it. Below I have listed what I think is relevant information about me. All of this will be the same come next year when I apply.
  • 21 years old (not a typo)
  • Master’s Degree (in progress) MBA with Economics Concentration ~3.7 GPA
  • Bachelor’s Degree BS in Economics with minors in PoliSci and International Studies 3.2 GPA
  • 1.5 years full time work as an analyst for a bank, only analyst assigned to a $50 mil portfolio (have collateral duty of writing economic reports for board of directors)
  • Honors Student in Undergrad
  • Marshal of my Fraternity
  • President of college chapter of one of the two major political parties
  • Peer mentor to new freshmen honors students
  • Studied abroad in South America
  • High School Cadet Commander of NJROTC unit (Highest Possible)
  • National champion for LandNav and Academic competition for NJROTC
  • Haven’t taken the OAR yet but do have these test scores if they are indicators:
    • ACT: 32
    • ASVAB: 98
  • Have some flight hours but no license
  • Meet h/w and have clean medical history, cleared by FAA for previous flight training
  • Recommendation letters:
    • O-5 – Navy Intel Officer
    • O-6 – Air Force Pilot, West Point Grad
    • O-4 – NJROTC Instructor
    • College Professor I worked for as a research assistant/studied abroad with
Thanks again for any insight, I have already gotten so many questions answered from this community and I appreciate it.

There’s no such thing as SWO Intel. Try again.

FormerRecruitingGuru

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...000/1200Classification/Documents/1212-050.pdf

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...nrestricted/Pages/SurfaceWarfare(SWO)OCM.aspx
Paragraph 3

SWO with INTEL option seems to be a thing unless I am seriously misunderstanding this. The recruiter also seems to believe SWO with INTEL option is a thing as well.

Have your recruiter show the list of available designators an OCS applicant can apply for. Those links you sent do not apply for OCS programs. Try again.