• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What? My leave gets taken away?

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
av80r1976 said:
Most people opt to sell the max days (60) while they transistion to the commissioned side of the house.
Really? Based on what dtirey just quoted, do you personally know anybody who has sold back leave while being discharged to be commissioned? Who are these most people, because I've never known one.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
makana said:
Really? Based on what dtirey just quoted, do you personally know anybody who has sold back leave while being discharged to be commissioned? Who are these most people, because I've never known one.
Concur. Av80r is AFU. An E can't just sell back leave any time they want, it's like dtirey stated. Also, selling back leave in lieu of taking terminal leave is stupid from a financial standpoint. If you sell it back, you get the "basic pay" value, but if you take it as terminal leave, you get all the other pay and allowances you're entitled to as well.

Brett

av80r1976

pilot
Brett327 said:
Concur. Av80r is AFU. An E can't just sell back leave any time they want, it's like dtirey stated.

True. An enlisted man or woman can only sell leave days back at discharge or at reenlistment.

I know of at least one person who sold back leave, ME! When I transitioned from enlisted to officer I sold sixty days. You are able to do it (at least in the Marine Corps) because when you have to be discharged from active duty in order to receive a commission. I have the DD 214 to show it. From the financial standpoint it does makes sense to take terminal leave vise selling those leave days back. You cannot do both, so if you get the chance to sell leave days prior to commissioning I recommend doing it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
av80r1976 said:
Brett327 said:
Concur. Av80r is AFU. An E can't just sell back leave any time they want, it's like dtirey stated.

True. An enlisted man or woman can only sell leave days back at discharge or at reenlistment.

I know of at least one person who sold back leave, ME! When I transitioned from enlisted to officer I sold sixty days. You are able to do it (at least in the Marine Corps) because when you have to be discharged from active duty in order to receive a commission. I have the DD 214 to show it. From the financial standpoint it does makes sense to take terminal leave vise selling those leave days back. You cannot do both, so if you get the chance to sell leave days prior to commissioning I recommend doing it.
Why would you recommend selling? The only time that would make sense is if you were running into a use/lose situation, otherwise you're getting less bang for your leave buck by selling.

Brett

av80r1976

pilot
I agree you lose out by selling leave days back, but I have always carried excess leave over my career. October 1st would come along and bam, I've lost 5 or 10 days. I chose to sell the max amount of leave I could at that time becuase I knew that I would one day take terminal leave vise selling it. Maybe not the best choice for everyone.

KimberlyD

Anyone have the form to do this? We've been looking b/c my husband is in a use/lose situation & ab to commission & so far, nada.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KimberlyD said:
Anyone have the form to do this? We've been looking b/c my husband is in a use/lose situation & ab to commission & so far, nada.
PSD

Brett

KimberlyD

The Perpetually Stupid Department has the answers to something??? Nope, nice try though. He'll keep trying though & eventually he'll draw the number for the one competent person working there...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KimberlyD said:
MILPERSMAN
...A great all around reference for personnel issues. It should be the first place you turn to. Sadly, most folks don't know what it is.