• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What kind of helo is this?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I was sitting enjoying my sandwhich when my house started rumbling. I hopped up to see people outside looking up, I did the same, and there was a large helo overhead. I attached a few pictures (though it had already flown away a bit by the time I grabbed my camera). Defintely the loudest helo/airplane I have ever heard. Also attached is the sunset at the same time.

Attachments

• P1010387.JPG
    P1010387.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 282

Malice 1

pilot
Thats a bananna.

They were among the first US miltary Helos. I think they were obsolete by the mid/late 1950's.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
H-21 Shawnee "Flying Banana" as previously stated...

Served with the United States Army from 1949 to 1964. The CH-21B assault helicopter could carry 22 fully-equipped troops and was first deployed to Vietnam in December 1961. The Shawnee was the "Workhorse" of Vietnam until it was replaced with the fielding of the UH-1 Huey.

Also used by the French, Canadians, and the West German Air Force.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the info, I am impressed that everyone knew what it was. Now for the bigger question, any idea why something like that would be flying out here???

On that note, I keep seeing Cobras near campus/Newport (only 5 miles from campus to the coast) and there are no open military bases near by (Tustin and El Toro are obviously both closed) with the exception of the hardly used Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base (Long Beach essentially). Are these just helos coming up and down the coast to Camp Pendalton or SD?

nice pad m ;).

Thanks. I am trying to enjoy my last year of college, I think my Oceanfront appt helps with that :)

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
They're probably just transiting. I saw a Huey and a Cobra in formation over Pcola Beach back many months ago just flying along. Beach flying is fun in a helo cause you go low and can check out the scenery.

DW43

Its a little off topic, but I saw two Cobras a few months ago flying towards Nellis AFB. Do they participate in Red Flag training, or why else would Marine attack choppers be in Vegas?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its a little off topic, but I saw two Cobras a few months ago flying towards Nellis AFB. Do they participate in Red Flag training, or why else would Marine attack choppers be in Vegas?

1. Yes from time to time

2. Uhhhh its Vegas.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
It occupied space in our hangar at Pt Mugu a few years back after it evidently needed a part that was tough to get (or so we were told). Guess that's what happens when the parts surplus dries up.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There were about 500+ CH-21's produced by Vertol/Piasecki in the 1950's. The engine was a huge Wright Cyclone 182o radial. My guess is there are enough parts floating around for the time being. Wright 1820's are overhauled like crazy in South and Central America.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
If memory serves right, it wasn't an engine part but something obscure. Just meant it kept collecting owl crap on it the longer it sat waiting.