• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the score requried for the ASTB to be a Infomation Warfare Officer?

efactor1984

I'm 26 already have a B.S. in Management Information Systems at UNC at Wilmington with a 3.2 GPA. I've been out of school for almost 2 years and have found nothing right now in the civilian life. I was wondering if I'm required to take the ASTB to become a officer in Information Warfare? What score will I need? Right now, I'm just waiting on a recruiter from Raleigh to give me a call sometime to get more additonal information. I can't find anything on crnc.navy.mil about taking tests other than I meet the requirements. If anyone can answer my question I would appreciate it. Thanks

efactor1984

Thanks for the info on that. So I need a 35 in the OAR. Guess I'll order the Barron's Military Flight Appitude as soon as I get a call from the recruiter. I'm looking at the spreadsheet. Which one is the Information Warefare Officer?

GreenLantern330

35 is the minimum score required for, I believe, all designators. Getting a 35 most likely will not be enough though. Try to aim for a much higher score. Try to get at least a 50.

efactor1984

Figures, I would strive to push myself to get at least a 50 on the OAR. My GPA might kill me, which is 3.2 GPA. Which one on the spread sheet is the one I'm looking for to be a Information Warefare Officer? I'm assuming its the SWO.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
What is the score requried for the ASTB to be an Infomation Warfare Officer?

Fixed :p.

As for the scores, the higher the better. Like most civilian companies the Navy doesn't usually (although it does happen) pick up people barely meeting the minimums. While a nice GPA is great, it's not everything (look at my stats in my profile); you can make up for a slightly lower than average GPA with great ASTB scores, good LoRs, and good all around application.

For the recruiter part of things, have you filled out the "request for more info" either by phone or internet? If so, is this what you are waiting to hear from a recruiter about or have you already been in touch with a recruiter at your nearest station? While the former should be enough to get in touch with the Navy, I found out the hard way that, at the current time, this is not always sufficient to get things rolling; I had to call several different NORs to get the right number for my station and ultimately get the ball rolling for myself.

The more initiative and enthusiasm you show, the more willing a recruiter will be in helping you out. Kick that tests ass and good luck with the whole process.

efactor1984

I filled out the request on both the Internet and by phone. More likely twice. I have not been in touch with the recruiter in the nearest station, which is in Raleigh. If I get a good score like at least a 50 on the OAR, should I be concern with my GPA from the board?

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
I filled out the request both the from the Internet and by phone. More likely twice.

My thoughts exactly. They called eventually and did a follow up questionnaire checking my eligibility to be a USN officer (which I was) and assured me that my info would be sent to the appropriate recruiting district (which it wasn't sent to my regional or specific office) and that someone from there would get in touch with me shortly (which never happened because my info didn't get sent). After waiting for what seemed like ever, I began calling various offices to get the right number; once I was in touch with my local recruiter (20 min from my house) I had the application filled out and a test date set.

Knowing what I know now, If I were you I'd try to get in touch with that recruiting station by phone. Do whatever you can be it old raleigh phone books, internet searches, calling 411, etc. to get the number for that station; that internet/phone information request is not mandatory so calling them directly is okay. I do not know how many selection boards are set for this year, but I know there is one for April; if you can get the ball rolling by the end of this week, you might be able to finish the application and take the test before the submit date for that board.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Figures, I would strive to push myself to get at least a 50 on the OAR. My GPA might kill me, which is 3.2 GPA. Which one on the spread sheet is the one I'm looking for to be a Information Warefare Officer? I'm assuming its the SWO.

SWO = Surface Warfare Officer, which is not you.

IWO = Information Warfare Officer or also known as IW

efactor1984

Appreciate the info guys. I need to get this rolling and order the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude. I believe I have an e-mail address from the recruiter last year and will try to contact them with more info needed and figure out what I need to do. I know I can qualify with a 3.2 GPA and get a higher OAR to get the board to select me.