• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the role of fixed-wing aircraft in the Coast Guard?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh yeah-I had to edit my first post about 18 times to take a couple less jabs at the fixed wing guys. But the only answers being jokes rubbed me the wrong way.
Relax... Be happy.... don't let 'em get to you.....

frogs.jpg

Davfo

In their defense, it is extremely difficult to talk about Coast Guard fixed wing drivers and the aircraft with a straight face.

Davfo, you don't see much footage of CG fixed wing assets "in action" because who wants to sit and watch a plane fly straight and level from left to right on the screen. They don't do much more than that when they are "in action" barring the rare drops they may make.

The fixed wing community in the CG generally flies around for 8 hours at a time conducting searches or patrols. If it is a rescue case, and they find someone in trouble, they are able to call back to the comm center and say "yep, they are sinking." Then they stand by until a helicopter or a boat shows up to actually do something about it. When they get back, they then complain that they worked much harder than the helo crews and deserve an air medal.

They are also known to go to the local watering holes and brag about how awesome they are for deploying all over the world and stay in nice hotels. That is until the helicopter crews come in and burst their bubbles by explaining that airline pilots do the same thing but they actually do something important like fly passengers or cargo to those destinations.

See Brunes, I think it is impossible to be serious about fixed wing guys even through one post.

A shame that fixed wing in the Coast Guard isn't taken seriously. I'm looking to become a fixed wing pilot in the long run, beyond my time in the military. Figured Coast Guard would be the best route without going through the process of corrective eye surgery among other things. My vision without lenses isnt the best. Not sure what the acuity is, but prescription is -2.50 in one eye and -3.25 in the other.

Regardless, thought it would be a more of a respected role. Preferably, I'd fly fixed wing over helos any day.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Regardless, thought it would be a more of a respected role. Preferably, I'd fly fixed wing over helos any day.

I think you're taking the posts in this thread a little too seriously.

Everyone has their role, and people do it professionally. The Hercs and -144s are necessary for the CG to operate effectively. If you're interested in the CG, go for it because you're interested in the CG, not because they accept blind people. That said, I personally wouldn't understand wanting to go into the CG and NOT wanting to fly helos. That's where 95%+ of the action is (on the aviation side). But that's just me.

Davfo

Everyone has their role, and people do it professionally. The Hercs and -144s are necessary for the CG to operate effectively. If you're interested in the CG, go for it because you're interested in the CG, not because they accept blind people. That said, I personally wouldn't understand wanting to go into the CG and NOT wanting to fly helos. That's where 95%+ of the action is (on the aviation side). But that's just me.

I'm aware helos get most of the action, but at least its not like fixed wing doesn't get any action from what I understand. How many hours do those pilots average a year?

jmcquate

Contributor
They flew in fresh seafood from Florida for our annual Block Party/Clam Bake when I was in High School. The CO of the USCG 9th District was a neighbor.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Personally, I have never flown anything that I didn't like and enjoy.... and I flew most all (except blimps) in my day - props, turbos, helos, fighters, attack, trainers, prototypes, commercial airliners, etc. It was all a rush!
But if I were limited to just one, that would still be not only OK, but great!
So just do it and enjoy!

Illegitimi non carborundum