• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the right service selection formula?

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I'm confused. On this forum, I've seen different service selection formulas. For example,

From the "NROTC SNA stats" thread:
7. Q: How, exactly, do these scores apply to my service selection?

A: Midshipmen from all 65 NROTC units compete on a national level for the available aviation billets. An aviation service selection score is computed for all physically qualified Midshipmen who would like to go into Naval Aviation. The top candidates are then selected. The following service selection formula is used:

Cumulative GPA 27%
Adjusted Aptitude (Fall of 1/C Year only) 21%
(CNET statistically adjusts aptitude to normalize the subjective grading differences in the 65 NROTC units)
Academic Major 6%
(Based on OPMIS major: Technical (47-66) is 100% of the possible points, Science and Math (36-40, 42-46, 90) is 87.5%, and Non-technical (1-35, 41, 67-89, 91-99) is 75%)
PNS Subjective Evaluation (assigned by CO) 6%
AQR 15%
PFAR (for Pilots) or FOFAR (for NFOs) 25%
Total: 100%
From the "Aviation/Commissioning Formula for Rankings (NROTC)" sticky thread:
For NROTC service selection:

Commissioning Score:
GPA (out of 4.0) – 45%
Aptitude (out of 5.0) – 35%
Major (Engr=100, Tech=85, Lib Arts=75) – 10%
CO’s Points – 10%

Aviation Score:
Total Commissioning Score from above – 60%
AQR (out of 9) – 15%
PFAR (Pilots) or FOFAR (NFO) (out of 9) – 25%

(ASTB Min: Pilot – AQR 3, PFAR 4 / NFO – AQR 3, FOFAR 4)
One says GPA is worth 27% and the other 45%. That is a pretty big difference. Which one of these is right?

Checkert

The scientific process goes 'boink'?
They are the same- 60% of 45 is 27, 60% of 35 is 21, etc. THe first formula is a more specific breakdown of the second one's aviation score

adam28270

I understand your desire to understand the formula, don't worry about it though. The best thing you can do is to have a technical major, do well in your classes, keep your PRT scores up, and learn as much as you can in the unit and then apply it in your leadership billets. If you worry too much about the score and competing, you will miss the point of NROTC......training you to become an officer and leader in the Navy. Focus on the important things, not on your score. When it comes down to it, it's the needs of the Navy.

Also, the way scholarships are awarded is going to change in the next couple of years. Basically there will be different types of scholarships tied to types of majors (ie. technical, math/science, or other) so you won't be able to just switch majors. Also, from what I've heard, there may be rewards for having a technical major other than just extra points on your ranking. I'm assuming that the score may be re-evaluated at that point as well.

Bottom line....focus on doing your best...not on what your score is.