• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the deal with PARs?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ok...but...

I personally wouldn't be landing on Duck Island (middle of Arabian Gulf) for a land as soon as practicable EP. Just me though...:icon_mi_1

Ahem there Desert Hawk Plank Owner...it's Hawk Island these days...Hawk Island off the nose for 41.4nm.

401180519_3772a6bf1d_o.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Folks that write NATOPS/Dash-1's don't usually understand what "practicable" means. As we've seen, it doesn't mean "practical".
Example: while it might be practicable to sends kids to school in a hot air balloon, it isn't practical.
Our normal EP phrase is "land as soon as conditions permit". Fortunately, I've seen the word "practicable" removed over the years from flight manuals.

Actually, the folks that write/rewrite the NATOPS are aviators within the community, so they should know exactly what the words mean and how they ought to be used. NATOPS model managers are usually found at the respective T/M/S RAG. I don't know how other communities look at it, but in mine there's no quibbling about the difference between "land as soon as possible (nearest suitable field)" and "land as soon as practicable (knock off what you're doing and RTB)."

Is there really nothing more interesting to argue about today? :D

Brett

Lou

pilot
As stated...the big thing about the PAR is experience...flying them and controlling them. The best thing you can do for yourself and the controllers is to offer up a couple of PARs at the end of your flight to let the controllers maintain quals and proficiency. Summers in Brunswick are awesome but winters can be down right scary, so great gouge was to let the controller know when you were in-bound that you had time for X number of approaches. It paid off when you heard that PAR instructor's voice in the middle of a night snowstorm talking you down.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I was thinking "can I get ESPN on that?!?" and "how the hell do they figure that thing out?!?"

My first thought was he was playing flight sim and took a picture of his computer screen!

On another note, the sierra has the Weapon Fire under the covered switch, so where is the emergency release at then?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was thinking "can I get ESPN on that?!?" and "how the hell do they figure that thing out?!?"
Nah, that's the FD. ESPN comes on in the MD (the screen to the right).

It's a dream to fly on. You don't so much scan, more take it all in at once.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My first thought was he was playing flight sim and took a picture of his computer screen!

On another note, the sierra has the Weapon Fire under the covered switch, so where is the emergency release at then?

Emergency release is on the right side of the cyclic, you can barely see it in the picture. The weapons release does nothing. Other than gives you something to push as you make machine gun sounds.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Ahem there Desert Hawk Plank Owner...it's Hawk Island these days...Hawk Island off the nose for 41.4nm.

Pish-ahh...Potatoe, pototoe. Funny u knew what I was referring too...

And as for figuring all that stuff out ... the ILS lines pop up there for us (assuming it's tuned right) :) And anything going wrong turns red... (completely ensign proof)

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Hmm, this all sounds familiar...

I'll blame NMCI lag.

Hmm, oops. Guess that's what happens when you wake up at 4 all week long and then peruse air warriors when you should be fast asleep at night... Long days... Is it the weekend yet?