• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the best route to take???

Jonblue

I’m 22 and just enlisted in the navy as an AV (avionics tech), I don’t have a 4 year so I couldn’t go direct commission -- what would have liked to have done. I have always wanted to fly military and since the best aviators (at least I think so) are naval I decided to go that route. I am currently a private pilot and was on my way to get my IFR ME CFI and II tickets but my scholarship fell through (company went bankrupt). Arguably that was the best thing that happened to me because it got me focused on military aviation again. So now that I have spent all my savings on schooling (new headsets, getting out of my lease, paying what the scholarship didn’t, etc.) that I ended up not getting I am in between a rock and a hard place. My original plan was to get my tickets, instruct for a year or two while earning my 4 year then go military direct to commission. Since that didn’t workout I am looking for the best advice on getting the wings I so badly want. I am currently DEP status due to job availability and ship for boot camp on February 5th 2007, although I have put in a DAR to go sooner. Essentially I need to know what would be the best steps to take from the beginning to help insure that I get a shot at flight school.

Thanks in advance

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m 22 and just enlisted in the navy as an AV (avionics tech), I don’t have a 4 year so I couldn’t go direct commission -- what would have liked to have done. I have always wanted to fly military and since the best aviators (at least I think so) are naval I decided to go that route. I am currently a private pilot and was on my way to get my IFR ME CFI and II tickets but my scholarship fell through (company went bankrupt). Arguably that was the best thing that happened to me because it got me focused on military aviation again. So now that I have spent all my savings on schooling (new headsets, getting out of my lease, paying what the scholarship didn’t, etc.) that I ended up not getting I am in between a rock and a hard place. My original plan was to get my tickets, instruct for a year or two while earning my 4 year then go military direct to commission. Since that didn’t workout I am looking for the best advice on getting the wings I so badly want. I am currently DEP status due to job availability and ship for boot camp on February 5th 2007, although I have put in a DAR to go sooner. Essentially I need to know what would be the best steps to take from the beginning to help insure that I get a shot at flight school.

Thanks in advance

Well, you've got time on your side, so that's a good start. The real question is, how much schooling do you have left before you have your degree. If it's a lot, your best bet might be to apply for a commission (STA-21) as an enlisted guy. This will take some time - probably a minimum of 2 years, but you'll get pay, benefits and much of your educational costs covered if you get accepted to this program. If you're close to finishing your degree, then do so ASAP, then apply to go to OCS through your chain of command once you're in and established. Do some searches on this site about the various commissioning programs and let us know what your specific questions are. There are a couple officer recruiters here that can help steer you in the right direction as well.

Brett

Jonblue

The flight school I was in just gave FAA ratings… there was no real degree (although I would have been able to receive 80 or so credits from Embry-Riddle for the tickets). I do have some college but not near enough to make it viable to complete (would need another 3 year) before going into the Navy. I guess my specific (well not so specific) question is this… Starting out fresh what do I need to do to stand out. From the time I get off the bus at basic I want to strive to be the best, I was hoping for any advice to help me with that. Would there be a better field to go into vs. AV. Basically anything that any of you think would help me achieve my goals would be great. I know there is no easy way for this but any advice would be great.
Also I didn’t mention that AV wasn’t available in the Navy so I am actually going to be active duty reserves, from what I understand training the weekend warriors. The main perk that I see with this is a lot of time for advancing myself as far as college, and different schools.

Jonblue

by the way..........................

I don’t want to hi-jack my own thread here but my recruiter (I know I know) told me upon expressing how I want to go officer and fly that he knew of a guy with a GED getting commissioned directly after boot camp. It this even possible or was it in your opinion a tactic to get me to sign on the dotted line…

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Did the guy with the GED have a college degree as well? I was pretty sure that a 4-year degree was required to become an officer.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
no he went in with a GED and supposededly got commissioned right after bootcamp

Then you should punch that recruiter in the face for trying to feed you bullsh!t.

You need a bachelor's degree to be an officer (with the exception of LDO/CWO). Period.

You need to go through a commissioning source (imagine that) to be commissioned. Boot Camp is not a commissioning source.

bluemarlin04

I can comment on the rate your in for. Im in ATo school now since Im in the aircrew program. Youll go to I strand which is about 6 months of school. The base is boring, and the school is hard form what I hear. Alot of people fail out, so youll have to study hard. Plus there is a huge waiting list, a month wait to class up for I strand. supposedly I strand is suppose to be the easiest job in the fleet, But thats just what I heard. Youll live in the same barricks Im typing this in. You'll never have seen so much wierd people in your life until you come to a AV barricks.

But good luck on getting a commission.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I can comment on the rate your in for. Im in ATo school now since Im in the aircrew program. Youll go to I strand which is about 6 months of school. The base is boring, and the school is hard form what I hear. Alot of people fail out, so youll have to study hard. Plus there is a huge waiting list, a month wait to class up for I strand. supposedly I strand is suppose to be the easiest job in the fleet, But thats just what I heard. Youll live in the same barricks Im typing this in. You'll never have seen so much wierd people in your life until you come to a AV barricks.

I'm sure he is extra motivated about his rate after reading your post.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
I would suggest focusing on being the best in your class. Get the best grades, help out your fellow students, and work hard. You will get recognized with hard work, and maybe offered a collateral duty (like class leader or mail PO for example). Take what you can of those and excel at it.

You can worry about school after A school.

As for Enbry-Riddle, if you can get 80 credits transfered in, then that is an excellent start! Embry-Riddle is a great school.