• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is OCS really like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakwo83

This is a question for those who experienced OCS and/or know others who have. What is OCS really like? I understand different people will feel differently about their experience, but I was just wondering if you can give me a general idea of what went on. I guess the biggest fear/anxiety I have is the mental shock of such a dramatic change in lifestyle that I will experience. What kind of "training philosophy" do the DIs embarace? Do they embrace hard core yelling, demoralization, and making you feel like a worthless sac of shiet or is it more tough love? Will they actually demoralize you or motivate you? Sorry for all the questions; I'm just a curious poster.
banghead_125.gif
Thanks everyone.

zuggerat

do a search u should find everything u need, check out some of the journals that are mentioned in the threads, as well as their replies... i'd tell u myself but i havent even started the application process yet ... heh heh

vballindaytona

hahhahahahaah. hey i wasn't about in tears, i just needed you to fold those damn sweats, i just couldn't do it! You were the best folder pat, i guess after 4 rlps's you sort of understand what they are looking for. :)

my name is kid doogie (now that WAS funny as crap, i was almost pissing my pants gunny carlson was making me laugh so hard inside)

jonathan

DairyCreamer

For those of us not on East Coast time, would you, say, recommend adjusting for the time change, and practice instead going to bed at 8 and waking at 3 (for us Mountain Timers)? (Ewww!)

Yust curious :) I mean, I gotta wonder what happens to the Cali boys who forget about the 3 hour time difference goin to PNS. Ouch!

~Nate

Originally posted by Patmack18
13 (or more!) weeks of suck. Two biggest things to do to prepare yourself. Make sure you're in shape, and start going to bed at exactly 10pm and waking up at 5am. Do that for at LEAST 3 weeks prior to get yourself used to it, and no naps during the day. That was my usualy routine before OCS but the lack of sleep is one of the biggest things that starts to break people down in the beginning. If you can already be used to that, the rest is just listening to people yelling.

wusappenin

None
i want you to know that i am writing this without any spite or malice. it is simply my opinion.

i agree with bart27, where is the post. the only reason i see it being taken down is that some admin share Patmack18's "concern" that people should find out for themselves. if that is the case, why even have a forum like this one? why put API info up? for that matter, why ask questions? people should learn for themselves what it means to go through MEPS, what are the big 4, what your ASTB scores really mean without the input of people that are either informed on the subject or have been there before. why is it that it is okay for someone to tell people to know the "big 4" before getting to ocs, but not okay if he gave any other bits of information? why not just ban it all? not being cute or insulting, but i sincerely hope that your reple is more than a simple, "the dep guide says to know the big 4 before getting here"

i agree that people shouldn't be spoon-fed and babied. i agree there are some lessons that should be learned on your own. but is telling someone how it is to go through ocs pampering a candidate? aren't they still required to complete this challenge regardless of how informed they are? if you feel that it is, so be it. the simple response would be to just ignore the request and not answer it. but it appears that demax182 has no problem informing people on how he felt about his experience and therefore, i do not believe his post should have been erased. people come here to educate themselves on situations they may experience in the future. demax182 was sharing some tips of advice to those who wanted it. i feel it is unfair to deprive the people his "gouge." in fact, i feel that what you (whatever administrator took the post down) did was simply an elitist form of censorship. there are enough stupid people in this world who choose to go through life without choosing to educate themselves. don't punish those who are curious, who choose to better their situation with the knowledge from those who have been there before.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
George Santayana

vince
half man - half amazing

wusappenin

None
Patmack18:

first, im glad you didnt perceive my tone to be insulting or rude. it's hard to convey how you want something to come out via times new roman or what not.

secondly, i do understand your role as moderator and your discretion to delete from the forum at will. you're the moderator and if you decide that the post is inappropriate, so be it, what can i, or anyone, do. however, i still don't agree with your comment of "whats the point of ocs." just because someone tells me how hard it is or how they had to march to here and there and everywhere etc. doesn't take away from its difficulty nor does it make the experience for someone like myself, a person who has no prior experience in the military and has been accepted to ocs, any easier. regarless of how many people i talk to about ocs, i'll still have to endure its hardships.

furthermore, i understand how the people at ocs deem it important inform those who will be attending to know the big 4 verbatim. however, the recruiters at my local NRD also find it valuable for their former recruits to come in and talk to us dep'rs so that we may ask questions and get recent, accurate answers and descriptions of their time at ocs.

i guess in the end, my opinion is to either make "not giving details about ocs" a forum policy, or just leave it alone. just an opinion.

vince
half man - half amazing

grouch

Just do it like everyone else did it before you. OCS is designed to suck and no amount of knowledge about black saturday or anything else for that matter will help you out much. This is hazing in it's purest form, that is part of the mystique. You will be tested to your limits and that is all you really need to know.

So Pat, where are you now?

wusappenin

None
you know what, it sucks that you perceive a person trying to educate themselves as being soft. the people who are going to ocs will have their opportunity to "suck it up and roll with it." they're still going to have to endure all 13 weeks of it. what did the thousands of applicants taking the ASTB do before the internet and the "study guides" out there? they took it. i was one of them. i didnt know there was a study guide out there. i did fine but now i tell people to study for it. im not complaining about newer applicants who have access to these boards and can learn from my mistakes. now that i know these forums exist, im going to learn as much as i can before i get to ocs. with "the internet and 'gouge'" out there, it's only ignorant for someone preparing to go not to try to learn from others.

vince
half man - half amazing

schmuckatelli

In case anyone hasn't figured it out yet the whole point of OCS is to put you under stress to see how you handle it. The element of surprise and fear of the unknown is a big part of how stress is generated. While sharing info about OCS is not necessarily a Bad Thing™ (as Martha's evil twin might put it) it does take something away from the OCS experience. Obviously not walking into it blind will help you get through it but defeats the purpose of going through the training. The chiefs and drill instructors are not as interested in seeing that you have memorized every piece of gouge as they are in seeing you push yourself and rise to meet the challenges they present. Once you are commissioned and earn your wings you will eventually get out to the fleet where you will be in charge of people and equipment and will have to make decisions. As a brand new division officer you will not know everything and in a lot of cases you will be totally clueless. OCS is not a test to pass, per se. It is a foundation of experiences for you to build on as you progress down the path toward becoming a competent and successful naval officer. Getting all the gouge on OCS is like finding out the questions to a test beforehand: you'll probably pass with flying colors but have you actually learned anything? It is much better to have the requisite problem-solving skills that allow you to successfully tackle a variety of problems than it is to only be able to answer 25 very specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.