• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is OCS really like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bisouss69

I want to know from others who have been to OCS what it is really like? What do I need to know to get by easier, what I is PT like?, what time do you have to do things?, everything really? I have ready info on the website. I want to know the nitty gritty! Thanks!

Dave Shutter

For the most part your looking at a routine, same thing day in, day out. You're always getting ready for the next test or inspection. Poopie week and the following 3 weeks will suck, deal with it. If your class is squared away things will mellow out somewhat after a couple weeks as you get used to things. Passing your week 4 inspection means weekend liberty as long as you continue to do well as a class. Doing well on you drill eval makes your DI look good and you may see very little of him after that. The key for a trouble free OCS is coming together as an organized team, classes that fail to do this screw everything up and feel nothing but pain for thirteen weeks. As an individual you want to know your big 3 STONE COLD!!! This is repeated over and over but it can't be emphasised enough. Be in the best shape possible, if you can meet out-PRT standards when you show up you're in the best possible place, and morning PT will seem like nothing. You're spared a lot of "special attention" and are less likely to get injuries which means rolling out of class and then being on the 16 or 18 or 25 week program vs. the 13 week variety. Time will seem to drag horribly but when it's over you won't believe how quick it really went. In between all of this you will actually manage to have some good times and see some really funny sh!t.

Best of luck.

farkle84

i dont know if Marine OCS is the same as Navy OCS. we had lots of classes, lots of physical tests, drill, we had lots of activities with our rifles, and fire team and squad exercises. just get used to same thing day to day. but the food was good for us.

Adrenaline Rush

at marine ocs, are you always restricted for time when eating?...if so i guess you never get to enjoy a meal there, and i would imagine that would be pretty depressing

I'd Rather Be A Lion For One Day, Than Be A Sheep For A Thousand Years

Dave Shutter

I'm always comparing notes with Marines about OCS. One big difference is no GTX, you get hurt or sick in Marine OCS, you go home. Try again later. The PT is obviously a lot more demanding: pull ups, longer runs and the such. But the big difference one should prepare for would be long roadmarches (w/ gear and weapon) and weekends in the field. Just what I've heard. Check the Marine OCS forum for the guys who've been there.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Its not going to be fun at all. However, you must complete ocs and get a check in the box to move on to bigger and better things. Like Flying!!! Just suck it up and remember that its not supposed to be fun and youll be ok.

Dave

Ironnads

Even though you have 20 minutes to eat chow in Navy OCS, I would rather have 1 minute and scrap all the B.S. chow hall procedures. Good luck "enjoying" a meal.

Travis Alexander

Ironnads

Indoc week is designed to simulate being a P.O.W. that should tell you a little something about what it will be like. One tip, don't sweat the Candio's. They can't touch you or make you push. You can't do any PT until after you finish the physical which will probably be on Tuesday. Then you'll do your in PRT on Tuesday night and wait for the fun to begin. The real **** won't start till the DI arrives.

Travis Alexander

frogggystyle

Interested in Navy's OCS program? Here's the gouge

I made a page off of my website that is dedicated to the Navy's Officer Candidate School program. It outlines the package you need to submit (and includes the Word doc for you to download), contains various links that one may find useful if pursuing the program, and I also gave a walkthrough from day 1 until the day of graduation of the 13-week course. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.geocities.com/frogggystyle/hobbies/ocs.html

BYSun

FANTASTIC!!!
jump2_125.gif
Thanks guys, you give show the pride
tiger_125.gif
and dedication of the Navy officer
captain_125.gif
I hope one day to be. Great gouge. I will be going over this for sometime.
magnify_125.gif

Stay cool
shades_125.gif
and keep up the good work.
party_125.gif

Bryce

PS Froggy, I didnt catch you designator when I skimmed the site. May I ask what you were picked up for?

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

bisouss69

There has been some changes to the OCS application process. You do not have to order your microfiche(?) anymore. You do not have to enclude the EPQS SSBI investigation. YOu have your security manager sign that off. (enlisted)
THis was to the new NAVADMIN that was put out. There are probable some other changes which I can not remeber off hand.

I think what you put out was great. I do differ on sending too much. If you don't send what they indicate or send too much I think they will view that as that you can not follow simple instructions.

frogggystyle

I am a student naval flight officer - 1375.

The security manager will have you sit at a computer that asks numerous questions about your background. I think the information is then sent off to a specific office where they process your data. At least that is what the Chief did when I did it. I don’t know all of the details as to what happens with that area of the package. All I remember doing was answering those questions and eventually having the Chief sign off on that piece of paper from the OCS Word document that is included with the package.

As far as the package is concerned, the selection board will not view sending more as being overkill. I'm not talking about sending them stuff like lab results for your blood, a note from your 2nd grade teacher, you dog's AKC registration, and other frivolous items unless they are specifically asked for. What I am referring to are the items I listed in my outline, especially if you are applying for an aviation designator. This is from my own personal experience. And, as I stated, your experiences may vary from my own.

I received emails from the OCS package department that stated I was missing A, B, and C from my own package, so I had to get those documents and send them their way, which only took more time to get my package accepted. If you are nearing the age limit for a specific program, be thorough and leave nothing to chance.

If you put something in your package that they do not require, it will merely be disregarded. But to not include everything they need will cost you more time in waiting to hear back from them to see if you are accepted or not.

Send more and be thorough, but send what is relevant to the program that you are applying for. The board may perceive your ability to follow directions as lacking if you do not fill out the required paperwork correctly the first time (thus you should have at least 3 other people look over your package from A to Z), but if you include more than they require they will look at it as though you are thorough. This is a case where more can be better than not having enough.

Also, I don't think they require that microfiche now. I put my package together back in May of 2001. I remember someone saying that I didn't have to include my microfiche, but that if I did it would save the OCS package department some time in getting specific information. I was racing against the age clock to be eligible for this program, so I included the microfiche to save them as much time as possible.

WFU2USN

frogggy is right - More info. that will enhance your package is important!!! You want to show the board the things that make you stand out against others!!

Good luck!

Robin

leothelion

I've liked much of what I've read... Can anyone out there compare say, enlisted Basic Training (Army, Navy or Marine) to (Navy) OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.