• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is it like to be an NFO?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In all honesty, out side of the Guns and Accoustic/FLIR systems, a lot of out AW's don't know jack about the helo. When they stopped making AW's become Plane Captains, I saw the non-AW-specific knoweldge about the Aircraft drop waaaaay down.

Wow, when did they stop doing that?

Brett

MasterBates

About 2 years ago it became "AW's do not have to get PC"

Now, it is discouraged by MMCPO. We have 1 or 2 PC AW's rest have not gotten it, or it has lapsed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
About 2 years ago it became "AW's do not have to get PC"

Now, it is discouraged by MMCPO. We have 1 or 2 PC AW's rest have not gotten it, or it has lapsed.

I can't remember what the rationale was for the AWs getting qual'd. Was it just to help with the workload on det? It was always a huge hassle keeping track of their quals for PC and Ord Cert. I suspect that as LAMPS transitions to their new deployment model, many things will be easier in that respect, like having real ALSS people to work on gear while deployed.

Brett

MasterBates

Having a PC AW is nice if you have an unplanned RON.

While the HAC can sign the A-Sheet as PC, MC and AC, it is nice to have someone who is actually qual'd there to help.

Deployed, AW's helped only with AC washes (just like the pilots) and worked on ALSS and Guns No DTA's unless we were really in a pinch. Crew rest was usually the driving factor in that. My 1st det, we had an AO, so he did the guns on that cruise.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having a PC AW is nice if you have an unplanned RON.

I don't have the NAMP in front of me, but doesn't a Daily give you 72 Hrs? We never had to do Dailies on the road in Prowlers. Our limfac was usually having to pull a 10 hour oil sample - PITA. It's fun to watch JOs trying to use safety-wire pliers. :D

Brett

MasterBates

Daily, 72, until flown, then 24.

Squadron policy is that if it has been shut down more than 2-3 hours, it gets a daily. We don't crack the tail (part of Daily) on the road, unless it was a planned stop and we have the fold bar and 7 people.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Daily, 72, until flown, then 24.

Squadron policy is that if it has been shut down more than 2-3 hours, it gets a daily. We don't crack the tail (part of Daily) on the road, unless it was a planned stop and we have the fold bar and 7 people.

I'm pretty sure we use the "same aircraft commander" rule and use the full 72 hours. Again, no NAMP in front of me for specifics, but that's definitely how we do business.

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The piece about the training pipeline and aircraft selection is a bit dated, but decent info.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Take out the F-14 and the S-3 and add the E-6 and it might be more complete, but good otherwise.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The training aircraft need to be updated. You fly the T-6 in primary & intermediate, T-1 at the end of intermediate (T-39 for the foreign guys), T-39 in advanced and the T-2 at the end of advanced (USAF studs get winged after they finish the T-39 syllabus)

Note: Thats providing Navy students stay in P-Cola and go jets. USAF, USMC and all foreign students will go to VT-86.