• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What if you change your mind?

YNK

A friend posed this question to me:

If you get accepted into BDCP and you change your mind down the line (before OCS or even during OCS) and decide Navy's not for you, what happens?"

Anyone got a response I can give him?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ The contract BDCP guys sign spells this all out. The alternative to earning a comission should be motivation for any BDCP guy to complete the program.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I know you go in as an undesignated seaman, but is it possible to get assigned to a rate? I mean, otherwise you'll just be taking out trash and swabbing decks, at least from what I've herd. If the Navy needed to fill a rate, might they put a BDCP dropout in it, or not?

I guess I'm wondering if they are trying to punish you, get their money's worth, or both.

Kycntryboy

pilot
They had some people who got attrited from OCS just pay back the money the recieved I don't know if that is an option before arrival though

Stubby

Ask the Chief
I know you go in as an undesignated seaman, but is it possible to get assigned to a rate?
Sailors are given a final opportunity to select an A-school at MEPS in processing prior to arriving at Boot Camp.

Dalamara

Dunno how it works with BDCP, but every scholarship student that has dropped NROTC here has just had to pay back their money. They COULD send you on active duty but our PNS has never done it. I guess it'd probably be a little different when the guy making the decision has never met you before and you're just a name and number to him.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know you go in as an undesignated seaman, but is it possible to get assigned to a rate? I mean, otherwise you'll just be taking out trash and swabbing decks, at least from what I've heard. If the Navy needed to fill a rate, might they put a BDCP dropout in it, or not?
Rated or non rated, you'll be taking out trash and swabbing decks anyway, and yes, possibly even chipping paint (actually, needle-gunning the paint to be more correct).

As a fully qualified nuke, I was a head cleanin, deck scrubbin, p-way waxin, lube oil wearin, bulkhead paintin fool.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...possibly even chipping paint (actually, needle-gunning the paint to be more correct).

More than likely, right above my rack while I'm crew-resting.