• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What if pay day falls on a Monday?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sequestration finally hits home for me, I don't care about your parts, flight hour funding, or your cancelled det to Key West! I'm retired damnit, and I want unfettered access to my commissary, you never know when I might have trouble sleeping and decided to hit the commissary on a monday morning and slowly shuffle down the aisles!!!

Recent press announcement about commissary closures on base due to sequestration... their press release below.

Honestly, I always assumed that the commissary had a profit, and like the NEX extra $$ went into base MWR programs. Truthfully, I can't think of the last time I have actually been in a commissary, I prefer other supermarkets out in town.

https://www.commissaries.com/press_room/press_release/2013/DeCA_36_13.cfm
Commissaries plan for Monday furloughs

FORT LEE, Va., May 24, 2013 – When furloughs are implemented, most military commissaries will close one day a week on Mondays, said the director and CEO of the Defense Commissary Agency. The weekly closures will occur for up to 11 total days, between July 8 and Sept. 30.
Closing commissaries on Mondays would be in addition to any day stores are routinely closed. The 148 stores that routinely close on Mondays would also close the next normal day of operation. Other than the furlough day, there are no other changes planned for store operation hours.

This announcement comes as DeCA follows Department of Defense protocols related to the automatic federal government budget reductions, known as sequestration that began March 1. Like most DOD activities, DeCA is mandated by the department to furlough its civil service employees. Furlough notices are scheduled to be delivered to DeCA employees between May 28 and June 5.
DeCA has 247 commissaries with more than 16,000 employees operating in 13 countries and two U.S. territories. Furloughs will impact all of DeCA's more than 14,000 U.S. civilian employees.
"We know that any disruption in commissary operations will impact our patrons," said Joseph H. Jeu, DeCA's director and CEO. "Also, we understand the tremendous burden this places on our employees, who, when furloughed, will lose 20 percent of their pay.

"We determined that Monday closures would present the least pain for our patrons, employees and industry partners."

As sequestration continues, commissary customers can quickly find out about any changes to their local store's operating schedule by clicking on the "Locations" tab on DeCA's website, then "Alphabetical Listing," finding their store and clicking on "Local Store Information." Patrons are reminded that because sequestration is so fluid, DeCA's plan for this budget-cutting measure is subject to change.

DeCA decided on Monday closures after weighing the potential disruption to patrons and suppliers of having rolling furloughs, where closure dates would differ from store to store. Universal Monday closures are less disruptive to shoppers and the agency's industry partners – vendors, suppliers and distributors – who deliver products daily to DeCA's commissaries.

Store staffs overseas include a mix of U.S. and local national employees. Because they are not U.S. government employees, local national employees are exempt from this furlough action. Select locations overseas will open if they have an adequate local national staff. However, if an overseas store is closed, its local national staff will report to work and perform other store-related duties.
In January, DoD issued guidance to allow defense components to plan for potential budget cuts by reducing operating costs. In line with that direction, DeCA later executed the following budget-cutting measures:
  • A hiring freeze on all outside hires
  • Curtailment of official travel for all conferences, training and any other events and activities considered noncritical to the agency's mission
  • Cancellation of the agency's May Worldwide Case Lot sales for all commissaries. Instead, stores are conducting smaller-scale events such as outdoor sidewalk sales
  • Curtailment of all overtime and compensatory time unless deemed mission-critical
  • Review of contract services to restrict any increases
  • Curtailment of all monetary awards unless legally required
  • Postponement of all Guard and Reserve on-site sales scheduled after July 8, until further notice
"We are in this together," Jeu said, "and though limited in our ability by circumstances we cannot control, I assure you we will do all we can to mitigate the impact of sequestration on our patrons, employees and industry partners, and on our mission."

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The NUW Sea Plane base commissary has always (at least for last 11 years) been closed on Mondays. If I'm not mistaken the NPA commissary is closed on Mondays as well - at least it was when I was a kid growing up there.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, majority of the commissaries that I have seen have been closed at least one day a week. Article mentioned that they were closing in addition to other days of the week. One I read mentioned that some would be closed MON and WED now. Guess the place will be busier than normal on the rest of those days?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Same here. Iwakuni, Parris Island, Corpus, Lemoore, Meridian, Corry Station (Pensacola)... I think every commissary I have ever seen has been closed on Mondays. Somewhere, there is a mythical land where the commissary is open on Mondays... until now of course.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Great, so now I have a twenty minute block every third Tuesday (with a full moon) to get groceries, and now all of the slow/old/fat/stupid shoppers will be condensed into that same block...and I'll still get dirty looks if I bag/deliver my own shit so as to avoid paying a tip...
FML
Pickle

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
KBay is a 7 day a week store. Or rather: was, I suppose.

Oddly, I went a few weeks ago and the lines on a normal Saturday morning were like 50 deep. After a half hour in line, I found out that between the DeCA hiring freeze, USMC PCS season, and the disgruntled high school kids not wanting to work perpetually understaffed, there was a perfect storm whereby the comissary could only have 2 checkouts open on their busiest shopping day!

They've since fixed the problem and hired a bunch of new folks, so it seems that these sequestration measures are not without provisions for local exceptions.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Great, so now I have a twenty minute block every third Tuesday (with a full moon) to get groceries, and now all of the slow/old/fat/stupid shoppers will be condensed into that same block...and I'll still get dirty looks if I bag/deliver my own shit so as to avoid paying a tip...
FML
Pickle

Odd, only time I've ever run into lines more than 3-4 deep in 13 years of shopping at a commissary is when I've made the mistake of going on payday.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
KBay is a 7 day a week store. Or rather: was, I suppose.

Interestingly, the KBay one used to be closed on Mondays. Then they opened it up the last 6 months or so I was there (2005-ish). The circle continues.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Norfolk was (is?) open every day. God help you on a payday though.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
KNSE is already closed Sunday and Monday,so now, I guess, we will be open W/R/F/Sa, and since the store isn't run by the mafia, service already sucked to start with.
Pickle

joe dirt

pilot
I do prefer the 40 year old women at the Whiting Commissary who dress like they are teenage girls from the late nineties to the alternative at every other commissary I've been to. Former candidates for Miss Banana Show 1954.