• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens when flight physical expires?

boxster02

I'm waiting for my usmc flight contract to be approved. Completed my flight physical on 7 march 2009. Graduated in may 2009. I was told that it would take 3-6 months to clear NAMI and to allow me to send in my request for appointment.

It's been 6.5 months, nothing back. I contacted the district corpsman directly and he got back to me saying that my request for BUMED approvAl was submitted on 22 sept 2009. Not even at NAMI yet.

WTF? Did my oso drop the ball and not send it in? It's my understanding that to get to that point in BUMED it would only tAke a month...

What does my timeline to NAMI approval look to be now?

I'm so upset, this is the second time I got screwed. I should have been commissioned months ago if my oso was on the ball.

Thanks

boxster02

Flight physical submitted. Just got to BUMED after 6.5 months of waiting

I'm waiting for my usmc flight contract to be approved. Completed my flight physical on 7 march 2009. Graduated in may 2009. I was told that it would take 3-6 months to clear NAMI and to allow me to send in my request for appointment.

It's been 6.5 months, nothing back. I contacted the district corpsman directly and he got back to me saying that my request for BUMED approvAl was submitted on 22 sept 2009. Not even at NAMI yet.

WTF? Did my oso drop the ball and not send it in? It's my understanding that to get to that point in BUMED it would only tAke a month...

What does my timeline to NAMI approval look to be now?

I'm so upset, this is the second time I got screwed. I should have been commissioned months ago if my oso was on the ball.

Thanks

Jordan

I feel ya bud... I graduated in May and still haven't been approved either. My recruiter said it would only take NAMI a day or two to approved my waiver ha... its been a week now.

jtmedli

pilot
I feel ya bud... I graduated in May and still haven't been approved either. My recruiter said it would only take NAMI a day or two to approved my waiver ha... its been a week now.

I'm going to go with BS on the day or two wait. My OSO said it would take months which is apparently the sad, ridiculous truth.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm going to go with BS on the day or two wait. My OSO said it would take months which is apparently the sad, ridiculous truth.

It is. Guys are going to OCS with the hope that when they graduate/commission they will have their medical stuff done. Otherwise it's ground or out...

jtmedli

pilot
It is. Guys are going to OCS with the hope that when they graduate/commission they will have their medical stuff done. Otherwise it's ground or out...

I asked my OSO if this was an option for me and he seemed to be very 'against' going this route. He was pretty much dead set against me going to OCS without an approved physical which sucks because I'm hoping to go in January and that doesn't appear to even be an option anymore.

Don't you have 90 days to accept your commission? Would they have OCS + 90days to get the physical approved?

Yankee Uniform Tango
NAMI/NOMI is VERY backed up due to the ridiculously high number of Navy/USMC officer applicants they've been dealing with over the past year (shitty economy, etc). I was delayed two OCS classes already because my flight physical wasn't scheduled and then approved in time.

EDIT: Delayed again. FML.

Lonestar155

is good to go
I was one of the lucky few to get my paperwork back in a reasonable amount of time. I know others that have waited almost a year and eventually commissioned as air contracts. In the end it is all worth the wait. Don't cry about it.

Reconjoe

I know 2 guys who are in the same same boat....except one of them is looking at almost more than a year now of just waiting for the physical! Is this just Marine side?
Also, not sure how true it is, but heard one of the few docs who does the final approval on packages died not too long ago and has yet to be replaced....anyone hear the same?

E4toO1

I heard that rumor from my OSO as well. He said the guy had a heart attack and now that have 2-3 other docs to take his place and try to get caught up on paperwork. The word is there are several pissed off generals because of the delay.

Because of this, I missed my Oct class due to no flight physical. I was told 3 weeks ago it would be approved in 90 days or less. However, my OSO wants to send me in Jan with or without an air contract. Does anyone know how difficult it is to switch contracts after OCS or TBS. I do not want to go in and get screwed and be stuck at desk job.

I also heard that the Marines are not accepting SNA contrats until Oct '10. With that information, it sounds like I should try to wait it out. Has anyone heard different.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Does anyone know how difficult it is to switch contracts after OCS or TBS. I do not want to go in and get screwed and be stuck at desk job.

It's very competitive. Probably will be more so now (see below).

I also heard that the Marines are not accepting SNA contrats until Oct '10.

It's true. Some PLC-ers will be unaffected, however.

boxster02

I'm currently a USMC Candidate awaiting commission pending this stupid flight physical.

My flight physical will expire on 7 March 2010, after taking in a year prior. Several major errors in my recruiting office have caused my physical to have made its way to NAMI as we speak, probably officially getting there in early January 2010.

Problem is that my physical expires in March 2010.

What can I do? Will I have to retake the physical and wait again?
Think it could be done in 2 months?

Any recommendations?

:icon_rage

jtmedli

pilot
I'm currently a USMC Candidate awaiting commission pending this stupid flight physical.

My flight physical will expire on 7 March 2010, after taking in a year prior. Several major errors in my recruiting office have caused my physical to have made its way to NAMI as we speak, probably officially getting there in early January 2010.

Problem is that my physical expires in March 2010.

What can I do? Will I have to retake the physical and wait again?
Think it could be done in 2 months?

Any recommendations?

:icon_rage

The doc at Beaufort MCAS told me that all I would have to do is to get a new 'upchit' or whatever they call it (the small piece of paper in the back of the folder) and the flight physical would be good to go. So no, you shouldn't have to redo the physical.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The doc at Beaufort MCAS told me that all I would have to do is to get a new 'upchit' or whatever they call it (the small piece of paper in the back of the folder) and the flight physical would be good to go. So no, you shouldn't have to redo the physical.

I don't know the answer, but since you guys aren't in a flight status, does the physical really expire? Sure a year is a long time, but it seems there would be more adminstrative flexibility with it.