• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens to your apartment in your hometown while at OCS?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I tried searching for this and couldn't find it, so if someone knows where the answer is, please post it.

I was wondering about what to do with my apartment if I get accepted after July boards. (Cut me some slack, I have a TON of time to think about stuff)

So anyways, while at OCS for 12 weeks, is it better to keep all my sh*t in my apartment or just get storage, since I'll inevitably be coming back after OCS to move before the next stop.

Has anyone dealt with this before? It'd obviously be more beneficial financially to probably just put it in storage, however then I'd have to move all my stuff out before leaving, etc. My rent is about $1500/month, so yeah....

blackjaw

I think you answered your own question.

Why would you pay rent in a place for three months, or longer, when you aren't living there? The only reason I could think of is if you have a wife who stays behind and you get BAH or if you are NUPOC and get BAH. If you have any roommates that you really like and don't want to dip out on them would be another reason I guess, otherwise it just seems like a waste of money.

Your orders are enough to break a lease if you need to, so just terminate the lease if you don't have any of the circumstances above and get yourself a nice storage unit until you know where the Navy is going to put you. That way you won't have to pack anything up, it will be ready for you when you graduate, and you can move on to Pensacola, etc.

blarged

ready
Are your orders to OCS enough to break a lease if you have a roommate that could still be living there?

2 bedroom apartment, I leave for OCS, he wants to move to a 1 bedroom. Are the orders to OCS enough to break the lease on the 2 bedroom for both of us?

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
Are your orders to OCS enough to break a lease if you have a roommate that could still be living there?

2 bedroom apartment, I leave for OCS, he wants to move to a 1 bedroom. Are the orders to OCS enough to break the lease on the 2 bedroom for both of us?

Ditto, I'm in a similar situation...

blackjaw

I'm not sure, I think it depends on the type of lease you have signed and how lenient the management will be with you. It probably varies per property management company, so you might want to ask them before signing a new lease or just give them a heads up.

My example:

Out of college, I had a roommate that graduated from college and was Navy ROTC and was in limbo for about 8 months waiting for his orders. He had to do odd jobs for the Navy and just kind of wait. Once his orders came to head to Pensacola, he had to break the lease which still had 4 months on it.

The apartment complex gave me the option to either find a new roommate or downgrade to a smaller apartment. They said the only reason they did this was because of their relationship with the Navy and how many Navy enlisted/officers that came through their parent property management company, otherwise I would have had to of found a roommate or taken over the remainder of the lease. I ended up just grabbing another roommate.

McBuff

Sees the light

If just you signed the lease, then both of you are off the hook. If both of you signed the lease, then obviously you are good, but the roomate doesn't get a free out. Unless theres a specific clause, then he's legally obligated to stay. That being said, if you move out and he can't afford the apartment, that doesn't benefit the landlord at all, so most companies/landlords will work with him.

To the OP:
Keep in mind that the earliest you'll be done OCS is 12 weeks. When I was in newport, a guy graduated with a tad over a year in. It's rare, but it happens. Also, I don't know your situation, but single SNAs don't get permanent orders until Primary, meaning Navy won't pay to move your shit from home to Pensacola, only home to Corpus/Milton once you're done API, so tac on another 3-6 months @ 1500/mo. Either craigslist all your shit, get a storage unit or find someones house to put it all in. Good luck with the boards.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Yeah I guess I did answer my own question, but those are very good points as well. I had no idea that Military orders allow you to break a lease. I read over my lease again and found the military clause in there that I need to study a bit more.

And McBuff, thank you as I did not know that about API. That's definitely helpful. I was wondering why I found some single SNA's/NFO's staying in hotels downtown. Now it makes sense.

McBuff

Sees the light
Just to clarify, you'll still get BAH on TDY orders so you can get an apartment once you're down here. Also, NFOs get permenant orders since primary is at NASP.