• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens after OCS graduation for SWOs? I have seen so many different answers that I don't know.

What happens after graduation from OCS? Is there time for leave immediately after graduation? Do you stay in RI for a follow on school? If so can you move your family there? Any information would be helpful. The other threads I have read seem to contradict each other. Thanks in advance.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You are issued a standard set of knives designed and sized for no look stabbing, a ceramic plate fitted to your back, a PQS with disappearing ink pen, and a coffee mug with a left handed handle.
Pickle

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gol' durn, Skyler would have been an AWESOME name for a 'SH' Nasal Radiator, it could even have been a great Ready Room callsign; but you pissed away the opportunity by your overwhelming SWOtivation!:eek:
Good luck in OCS & Skimmerland/Sea.:)
Heavy Seas.jpg
BzB:cool:

ASR

It's actually all SWOS Basic Division Officer course now. No more SWO Intro. BDOC started its first classes back in October and is now the baseline training course for all new SWOs. It lasts 8 weeks and is held in Norfolk or San Diego, depending on which coast your ship is on.

As for where you can expect to go and for how long immedeately after commissioning... Unknown. You may be sent to some other school for a few weeks to get training related to your primary or a collateral duty. You may get ordered straight to the ship pending a BDOC quota. The issue is that, as with every major new accession school, it has limited throughput that sometimes can't accommodate all new officers in a given period: if you're graduating OCS in the spring, particularly after May/June, you may be "stashed" at your ship for a few months, then get sent to BDOC after a few months.

You won't know for sure until you get your PCS orders to your first ship.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really useful gouge from that I have read so far. Forwarded some to my young professional sons just starting out.

otejay

I enjoyed the fact that it contained a good amount of know-how for JOs as well as basic yet essential advice on how to carry oneself, self confidence, respecting your enlisted counterparts, working well with your Chiefs/LPOs, being a good leader, etc. I was lucky/honored to have my father pass down a good amount of this gouge to me but it is nice to see current/former JOs ushering soon to be newbies like me with solid advice.