• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What Happens After AMDO School?

Status
Not open for further replies.

planejane

I am completing my last year of college, I have almost 9 years of aviation maintenance experience in my civilian job, and I work Supply in the Naval Reserves. I will soon be 33 years old. I will apply to both AMDO and Supply Corps and hope one will give me a chance.

My question is this is - when AMDO school is completed, is the first duty station on a ship or does one perform shore duty first? With my job experience and total love for airplanes, AMDO is my first choice. I am just wondering what happens after school, as there is not really that much mentioned regarding this position. Also, I know the Navy's needs come first, but with Officer, is there a "dream sheet" completed like on the Enlisted side? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am reading everything I can on the Officer's side of things.

Thanks!
Planejane

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
planejane,

the "dream sheet" doesn't exist for the AMDO community because it's so small. Timing is everything, since there are only 1 AMDOs in non-hornet squadrons, and 2 in hornet squadrons, you have to see who's leaving. You'll sit down with the detailer at OCS and they'll tell you what they have available based on your projected AMDO school grad date. In my case, the detailer had two billets for two guys (me and my friend), so there wasn't alot of selection.

KimberlyD

What's the average class size? What's the delay running between commissioning & the start of school? What's the delay between the end of school & your report date on your orders? Or even the delay in getting those orders? And I know you can only speak in your personal experience but were there overseas billets when you went to your detailer or are most of those going to AMDO's with experience first? Also, thanks for the resource you listed in the other thread.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Our class size was 16 I think. (6 Navy, 5 Marines, 5 Navair civilians).

To answer your question about delay between commissioning and AMO school, it shouldn't be longer than 2 months. The community puts you in the appropriate OCS class, so that when you're commissioned, you will be in line for the next AMO class, I was commissioned in Dec '02, and there was a class in Jan '03. You should have your orders when you leave OCS.

There is virtually no delay between end of school and your orders. Again, the reason you're in a specific class is so that you'll finish in 10 weeks and then report to your ultimate duty station. My class ended in the middle of march, and my orders said report NLT Mar '03.

As for overseas orders, like I've said before, it's all about timing. Say you want Japan. Somebody has to be leaving a billet at the time you are projected to finish AMO school for you to get those orders. If those billets aren't opening up, then you won't get it.

KimberlyD

He's commissioning through STA-21, that's where we are seeing major delays in orders becoming ready. AMDO is only available through a waiver or a lateral transfer after qualing elsewhere (SWO or Pilot, etc). He's hoping for the waiver, I'm just hoping for a way out of Norfolk!

Status
Not open for further replies.