• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happened to marine reserve aviation?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is there exceptions to this rule? Or did this just happen?

Not sure what you mean......all the Hornet squadrons here are active duty. The RAG does have some reservists that fly, but so do most training commands

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Oh, so they do allow them to fly in the RAG?

Yeah, there are a handful of reservist IP/IWSO's flying in -101. Pretty much O-4 and above, though I guess this could probably be said about most reservist aviators.

bluto

As always, if you find yourself thinking about joining the Reserves, go out to the squadron, preferably on a drill weekend, and meet all the bro's. Even though your thinking of "getting out" still try to get as many quals as you can while still active. It's a bitch getting any quals as an SMCR, at least in the Hornet. All the squadrons will have a "join board" of some sort if you want to affiliate and you definately want your package to be positively endorsed by the command. If you don't have a lot of quals, at least you can get the "good dude, we want him" endorsement, which really is more important. And it never hurts to bring some booze.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As always, if you find yourself thinking about joining the Reserves, go out to the squadron, preferably on a drill weekend, and meet all the bro's. Even though your thinking of "getting out" still try to get as many quals as you can while still active. It's a bitch getting any quals as an SMCR, at least in the Hornet. All the squadrons will have a "join board" of some sort if you want to affiliate and you definately want your package to be positively endorsed by the command. If you don't have a lot of quals, at least you can get the "good dude, we want him" endorsement, which really is more important. And it never hurts to bring some booze.

All good gouge and very applicable across the board in the Reserve world. However, "Ralph" seems to be a college student, according to his bio, so not sure what he's trying to figure out since he wouldn't really be eligible.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
All good gouge and very applicable across the board in the Reserve world. However, "Ralph" seems to be a college student, according to his bio, so not sure what he's trying to figure out since he wouldn't really be eligible.

Ahh I missed this....yeah, @ Ralph, reserve Hornet gigs aren't for dudes without fleet tours and active duty commitments completed. Reserve Navy and USMC air is nothing like the ANG in that respect.

phrogpilot73

It's a bitch getting quals in the Phrog world as well... If you didn't have them when you were on AD, it's an uphill battle to get them in the Reserves. If you previously had them on AD - you'll have them within a year in the Reserves. At least, that's how it is in our squadron. We don't have an official "join board", but when someone tries to affiliate - the questions are asked if he's a good dude or not.

Ralph

Ahh I missed this....yeah, @ Ralph, reserve Hornet gigs aren't for dudes without fleet tours and active duty commitments completed. Reserve Navy and USMC air is nothing like the ANG in that respect.

No I understand. My coworkers hubby flies in the Reserves at Miramar but she mentioned they were getting rid of part-timers in the RAG.

bluto

There's no money anywhere this year. It's ugly everywhere and I'm afraid it's not going to get better in the future. Interesting times to say the least.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No I understand. My coworkers hubby flies in the Reserves at Miramar but she mentioned they were getting rid of part-timers in the RAG.

Interesting.....hadn't heard that, but that would be a bummer for those guys if true

Boom2

pilot
Does anyone have any info on flying operational support aircraft like the VMR units or "Station Pilots"? I've heard there are opportunities to fly with other services like the C-40's that fly around centcom doing PMC. Are those only for reserve pilots or are there AD billets there as well? Searched the forums, couldn't find anything on this specifically. BTW, no longer an SNA, will update my profile soon. Thanks.

phrogpilot73

Does anyone have any info on flying operational support aircraft like the VMR units or "Station Pilots"? I've heard there are opportunities to fly with other services like the C-40's that fly around centcom doing PMC. Are those only for reserve pilots or are there AD billets there as well? Searched the forums, couldn't find anything on this specifically. BTW, no longer an SNA, will update my profile soon. Thanks.
Only VMR unit that exists is VMR-1. Right now, helo pilots that go there split their time between the HH-46E and the UC-35. Station pilots that fly C-12s/C-35s are attached to the H&HS Squadron at the air station. The bulk of these pilots are AD. Reservists have IMA billets at H&HS Squadrons and VMR-1. VMR-1 reserve billet only flies the HH-46E. There are VMR dets around the country that are manned by Reservists, with a bare minimum of AD personnel. Bulk of the full time guys are Active Reserve.

If you're interested in VMR-1, or being a station pilot - let it be known early and often. They are actually relatively competitive billets. I got by name requested from the CO of VMR-1, so it was my billet to give up - but that's not common.

MonkUSMC

Playing the waiting game
What are the chances of an aviation based reserve unit allowing a Motor T Marine into their unit? Without having to switch MOS's. I have 2 years left on the reserves, and my parent command is Orlando, but I go to college in NY. I found a C-130 unit somewhere in NY, so I was thinking of transferring to there. I would just do Red Bank, NJ, since that will be an easy transfer, but if I could get an aviation reserve unit then I would enjoy those 3 days a lot more. Courtesy drilling for a long period of time is frowned upon and I decided to stay in NY to finish college.