• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happened here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
Anybody know the story behind this crash at Quantico? Exactly what kind of F/A-18 is painted blue and white?

Attachments

• Quantico mishap.jpg
    Quantico mishap.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 271

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If I remember correctly, it is painted like that because it was/is going to be a stationary display somewhere. It was sitting on the flightline looking in good shape a few months ago. There were a bunch of rumors floating around about the incident, but for what did occur... happened sometime in the pattern, pilot ejected relatively safelty, plane seems to have survived relatively intact.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
its the CO's plane... 00 or 01 are typically painted up in the squadrons colors (ala pre-haze gray time)

KBayDog

Because F-18s have SOOOOOOO much to do with TBS :rolleyes:

Nice to see that the Wing is finally getting some representation.

T-man

Is it an optical illusion, or is that plane not full scale? It looks kinda small to me. Just curious

Clux4

Banned
It is aircraft #1 from decommissioned VMFA 321 at Andrews Airforce base MD. The CO of the Squadron was flying it when the accident happened. I think it was supposed to be kept in the museum on Quantico, but with the crash, who know.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
FlyingFortress said:
Anybody know the story behind this crash at Quantico? Exactly what kind of F/A-18 is painted blue and white?
question #1: yes

question #2: the Skipper's jet is usually painted in pretty colors

S/F

Status
Not open for further replies.