• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What exactly goes in Reconsideration Package?

mjv305

ENS SNA
Hello. I have been searching these boards along with the internet to find out the exact contents of a reconsideration package without any luck.

I was a non select in the august boards and want to submit a reconsideraiton package for SNA and NFO for the upcoming Jan board. The extras i added were 3 more interviews, o5/04/04, 2 LORs from congresswomen and 04, retook astb, advanced in rank to E5, outstanding on PRT, completed ground school and logged 3 flight hours toward ppl and picked up some more collaterals and volunteer work..

Now, i know i need a resubmit statement along with the original or edited motivaitonal statement, a new endoresement by my CO, and all the new paperwork. Thats all i dug up so far Are there any offical forms or applications i need to fill out?

Any help would be great.. I got one month until it needs to be turned in. Thanks for your help..

BackOrdered

Contributor
The package would include all that your previous package had except:

1. SOMETHING or SOMETHINGS should be added that shows significant improvement (Better ASTB scores, new letters of recommendation, updated transcripts etc). It looks like you are very on point here.

2. The reconsideration letter. A bit of advice. Do not just make motivational statement part II. This letter is your chance to talk directly to the board as to the circumstance of your package not getting selected, and why this time it should be (respectfully of course). Use proper grammar but word it as if you are in the room. I still have my letter and to this day, I honestly believe that is what tipped the scale and got my package picked up. I was able to say things I could not anywhere else in the package to show my improvement.

Good luck future shipmate!

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I structured mine like this..

To Whom It May Concern:
Paragraph 1: Since hearing of my non selection in late October, I have been proactively improving ...
I states all my new additions to the package in this paragraph

Paragraph 2: at the time I was accepted for grad school and was starting up a business with some others..
I went into some detail about that in this paragraph

Paragraph 3: I reinstated my passion to serve and dedications and commitments.. yada yada..

I respectfully ask that the board reconsider my application...a few more words.....
-Just a quick sentence of asking to reconsider me

Sincerely,

signature here

Your Name

My letter was about 250 words. Less than a half of page...

exNavyOffRec

Do you have any idea why you weren't selected? What was your ASTB and what is your new score? What is your college GPA?

FYI SNFO is closed for FY12, FY13 is unknown.

mjv305

ENS SNA
my college GPA is 2.74...old scores were 5,5,6,50... new is 6,7,7,54.. I do not know why i wasnt selected.. I am guessing combo of low ASTB and GPA is my only speculation.. Hopefully the letter from congresswomen and my new astb scores and advancement help me out this time around..

mjv305

ENS SNA
Quick question to anybody reading.. In regards to my reconsideration package, can i include a completely brand new moti statement?

And a bonus question, should i mention anywhere in my reconsideration statement that i never uncovered the reason behind my non select which was discouraging but i knew the areas that needed improvement and i worked dligently blazeh blazeh...I wasnt planning writing this, but it hit me kind of last second.. package is being turned in tomorrow..

recon package includes - new astb score, 5 more interviews all perfect 2 05, 3 04, lor from congresswomen, advancement to E5 paperwork from CO, new outstanding CO endoresmenet(more like letter of rec), outatanding on prt, part of auxilary force team, VITA team member, completed ground school, 3 hours toward ppl, registered for masters at embry riddle, business plan with start up in near future, couple more qualifications as an atc, continued volunteering at american red cross, habitat for humanity.. ALl i can do.. Last shot to ever fly in NAVY.. DO or DIE(not really die)

mjv305

ENS SNA
finished product

To Whom It May Concern,

Since hearing about my non-selection in the August 2011 boards, I have made it my mission to improve myself to the best of my ability and merit reconsideration for Officer Candidate School. The outcome of this past board has only fueled my drive and desire to achieve my absolute goal of becoming a Naval Officer and I have been working diligently to do so. I have genuinely matured academically, mentally, and emotionally as I pushed myself toward accomplishing this goal.

Over the past months, I have acquired a letter of recommendation from Congresswoman Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) and conducted five additional officer interviews. These Naval Officers not only interviewed me, but gave me priceless insight into the world of Naval Aviation.

In order to better prepare myself for my undeniable future in aviation, I began taking steps to attain my PPL by logging 3 hours flight time and completing the necessary ground school. I have also registered with Embry Riddle Aeronautical University Graduate School to eventually obtain a Masters degree in Airport Management.

At work, I have excelled professionally in all aspects of my duties and responsibilities. I advanced in rank to Second Class Petty Officer, received my fifth consecutive outstanding score on the most recent PRT cycle, and have become qualified on various Air Traffic Control positions. I volunteered to join the Auxiliary Security Force supporting base security and was selected to become part of the base VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) team. On my off time, I continue to volunteer with all of the various organizations and successfully completed the American Red Cross course to become part of the Disaster Relief/Shelter Team.

My determination and commitment to military service is as unquestionable now as it has ever been. I am more passionate and in awe than I have ever been about becoming a Naval Officer. If I am not selected this time around I am proud to say without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, that I will not give up my pursuit of becoming a Naval Officer. I will continue applying until I no longer meet the minimum requirements or am ordered to stop applying.

I respectfully ask the board to reconsider my application for Navy Officer Candidate School and grant me the honor of service as an officer.

Very Respectfully,

exNavyOffRec

my college GPA is 2.74...old scores were 5,5,6,50... new is 6,7,7,54.. I do not know why i wasnt selected.. I am guessing combo of low ASTB and GPA is my only speculation.. Hopefully the letter from congresswomen and my new astb scores and advancement help me out this time around..

Your GPA and PFAR is more than likely why you weren't selected your PFAR is much better, what is still going to hurt you is your GPA, I have heard of one person with a GPA under 2.8 being selected (not my district he was about 2.6) so cross your fingers and if you get selected this time around run out and buy a lottery ticket

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
finished product

Some fast & dirties...

To Whom It May Concern,

Since learning of my non-selection in the August 2011 boards, I have made it my mission to improve myself to the best of my ability and merit reconsideration for Officer Candidate School. The outcome of this past board has only fueled my drive and desire to achieve my (delete) goal of becoming a Naval Officer and I have been working diligently to do so. I have genuinely matured academically, mentally, and emotionally as I pushed myself toward accomplishing this goal.

Over the past months, I have acquired a letter of recommendation from Congresswoman Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) and hereby forward five additional officer interviews. These Naval Officers not only interviewed me, but gave me priceless insight into the world of Naval Aviation.

In order to better prepare myself for my (delete) future in aviation, I began taking steps to attain my PPL by logging three hours flight time and completing the necessary ground school. I have also registered with Embry Riddle Aeronautical University Graduate School to eventually obtain a Masters degree in Airport Management.

At work, I have excelled professionally in all aspects of my duties and responsibilities. I advanced in rank to Second Class Petty Officer, received my fifth consecutive outstanding score on the most recent PRT cycle, and have become qualified on various Air Traffic Control positions. I volunteered to join the Auxiliary Security Force supporting base security and was selected to become part of the base VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) team. On my off time, I continue to volunteer with (several) of the various (charitable?)organizations and successfully completed the American Red Cross course to become part of the Disaster Relief/Shelter Team.

My determination and commitment to military service is as unquestionable now as it has ever been. I am more passionate and in awe than I have ever been about becoming a Naval Officer. If I am not selected this time around I am proud to say without any mental reservation (delete) that I will not give up my pursuit of becoming a Naval Officer. I will continue applying until I no longer meet the minimum requirements or am ordered to stop applying.

I respectfully ask the board to reconsider my application for Navy Officer Candidate School and grant me the honor of (serving) as an officer.

Very Respectfully,

mjv305

ENS SNA
should i mention anywhere in the statement that i am going up for pilot 1390 and NFO 1370? or keep it simple and say OCS?

to all of you so far.. Thank you tremendously for your help...especially to rondebmar

any other ideas/criticisms would be great...

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
How long have you been waiting for OCS? It has been a while since they selected NFO's. One of mine waited for about 12 months.

I'm an unusual case. I should have been through OCS already. My OCS date has changed several times mostly because I broke my wrist and needed surgery. The Navy has put me in Starboard D until I can get released from my doctor and ultimately Navy Med. According to my OR I may lose my spot now due to my wrist not regaining full range of motion yet. I submitted paperwork for another hold but he doesn't seem too confident in getting another date pushed back. We shall see...