• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What does this mean?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...had an air contract coming in, but my question is what will this do to platform selection later on? Since I am being grouped with this surge in air slots, am I grouped into the F35 push, or is there something else I do not know going on in USMC aviation?
I sense a disturbance in the Force. This is quite a clever way of rewording the tired old question, "What percent get jets?"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They go to an AF modified flight school. They get 40 hours in a DA-20, then get about 60 hours in the T-6 Sim to complete their instrument rating. They get what's called a BUQ-4 (basic unmanned aircraft qualification level 4).

The same one that USAF UAV guys go to? Does that mean they get the USAF UAV wings? Because that bling would look awesome on Marine uniforms...:)

United_States_Air_Force_Unmanned_Aircraft_Operator_Badge.jpeg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The same one that USAF UAV guys go to? Does that mean they get the USAF UAV wings? Because that bling would look awesome on Marine uniforms...:)

United_States_Air_Force_Unmanned_Aircraft_Operator_Badge.jpeg

Yep. They get those wings, and then put them in a drawer- never to wear them again.

Though there are UAV wings in the works that have been approved by DCA and are on the desk of the uniform board.

djj34

pilot
WRT the speculation of an impending jet draft, when I finished primary in August 2014, during the few weeks prior to and afterward (I stopped keeping track) if you had a 52+ NSS and jets was not your last choice, you had a pretty decent likelihood of going to Meridian or Kingsville. This was after a roughly 5 month dry spell of no Marines selecting jets regardless of NSS. A few of my friends had jets at #2 and #3, and still went that way. I put them at #4 and even though the Senior Marine told me to be prepared for anything, I did not get them.

I have no idea if that's even a trend. It was what it was. Could have been a coincidence, so OP, YMMV.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Though there are UAV wings in the works that have been approved by DCA and are on the desk of the uniform board.

Any idea what they might look like? I wonder if the Navy will get in the act...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Any idea what they might look like? I wonder if the Navy will get in the act...
I have an image on the work computer of what the proposal is. I'll post it here when I get back.

They are gold for officers, and they have an anchor and a shield, but the shield is different. The feathered wings are the same though.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...They are gold for officers, and they have an anchor and a shield, but the shield is different. The feathered wings are the same though.

Eh, sound a little too close to the real ones. Guess I have to see them to be sure!

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
I'm very happily flying the Z right now but I'm man enough to admit that, on principle, the Marine Corps drafting anyone with a 50+ for jets 18 months after I missed it with a 65 makes me pretty annoyed..

John Folsom

Colonel, USMCR (Retired) 7562/7565
pilot
So, today at TBS, we were told our company just got 7 competitive air slots. I already had an air contract coming in, but my question is what will this do to platform selection later on? Since I am being grouped with this surge in air slots, am I grouped into the F35 push, or is there something else I do not know going on in USMC aviation?

What happens at TBS means nothing later on. Let me explain. Although this is ancient history, it is applicable today.

In November, 1980 there were 149 second lieutenants who were told by two colonels from Manpower that there was a HUGE shortage of pilots. Anyone who could qualify would be sent to MATSG.

Fast forward to January, 1982.

EVERY Marine who had not yet completed primary was pulled off the flight schedule and mustered. They were given three options:

1. Separate from the service

2. Select a new MOS

3. Join the navy.

Many of those who walked in as Marine second lieutenants exited as ensigns.

The moral is "Needs of the Marine Corps." There is no certainty in anything, especially aviation. Maybe the F-35 gets built, maybe not.

My advice is to get through flight training first, then worry about T/M/S

Last edited: