• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What does this mean?

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
So, today at TBS, we were told our company just got 7 competitive air slots. I already had an air contract coming in, but my question is what will this do to platform selection later on? Since I am being grouped with this surge in air slots, am I grouped into the F35 push, or is there something else I do not know going on in USMC aviation?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't read into it too much. Worry about the here and now. Complete TBS, then IFS, then API. Flight school will be there when you arrive.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
So, today at TBS, we were told our company just got 7 competitive air slots. I already had an air contract coming in, but my question is what will this do to platform selection later on? Since I am being grouped with this surge in air slots, am I grouped into the F35 push, or is there something else I do not know going on in USMC aviation?
Doesn't surprise me to hear this. The Marine Corps did a poor job making pilots over the last year and are behind in production, particularly jets. I suspect over the next few months there will be a "jet draft", if it hasn't already started. It has nothing to do with the F-35 though. That monstrosity is making slow progress but on a positive note, there might be two students select F-35s out of advanced strike this CY.

S/F

joe dirt

pilot
We had 11 competitive air contracts in my TBS class, I think 3 of the pilots in my class of ~40-50 got jets. I'd say there isn't likely a correlation between competitive air slots and jets.
When I selected out of primary. Marines weren't getting jets unless they had an NSS of 65+ (not a rule, just how it was at the time). I've heard things have changed and pretty anyone with above a 50 is going to jet land.

texags

pilot
I haven't heard anything about them opening up f-35 selections to fresh wingers anytime soon. Right now they are just taking guys from harriers/hornets.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Note that Competitive Air at TBS lately has meant UAV slots. 7315 billets are undermanned as well.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
How does an air contract mean UAV's?

That is how UAV slots are given out now- they are competitive air. All of the Lts at VMU-2 had to go through the competitive air process (ASTB, flight phys, etc...) and came into the community that way. My OSO buddy says that there are no Pilot/NFO slots at TBS anymore, they are all UAV.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Over all the different stages, weather, medical, different squadrons with different paces, and sticking points throughout flight school there's a good chance you won't all select as a group. That is if they don't all end up as UAS operators.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
That is how UAV slots are given out now- they are competitive air. All of the Lts at VMU-2 had to go through the competitive air process (ASTB, flight phys, etc...) and came into the community that way. My OSO buddy says that there are no Pilot/NFO slots at TBS anymore, they are all UAV.

My company graduated in December and two guys picked up competitive pilot slots, while three picked up UAS. They definitely distinguished between UAS and NA/NFO slots as well in the MOS breakdown. So competitive pilot slots are still happening.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Guys who are 7315's from the get go don't go to flight school, right?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Guys who are 7315's from the get go don't go to flight school, right?
They go to an AF modified flight school. They get 40 hours in a DA-20, then get about 60 hours in the T-6 Sim to complete their instrument rating. They get what's called a BUQ-4 (basic unmanned aircraft qualification level 4).

So no, they don't go to flight school like you and I did. But they do go through a type of flight school. I think they should go through all of primary. But that is expensive.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
c640x360_32.jpg

Fallonflyr

pilot
Airlines are hiring, guys are getting out, need to train more than they originally thought...same cycle since the end of WWII, but always a big surprise to manpower planners. The time to start manning up training is when the CO's see their guys hanging around the ready room reading FAPA magazines.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Doesn't surprise me to hear this. The Marine Corps did a poor job making pilots over the last year and are behind in production, particularly jets. I suspect over the next few months there will be a "jet draft", if it hasn't already started. It has nothing to do with the F-35 though. That monstrosity is making slow progress but on a positive note, there might be two students select F-35s out of advanced strike this CY.

S/F

I know of at least one or two guys that wanted helicopters but were voluntold jets, so the jet draft might be real for the moment. We had a general come through Pensacola a few months ago that gave a presentation on the current state of Marine Aviation and said they were going to start selecting guys for the F-35 out of Jet Advanced starting this year(June, I think?). However, I don't really remember the details on that so take the information with a grain of salt.

As for OP's worries about how these new slots will affect selection, you're thinking way to far ahead of the power curve and it won't affect your selection chances at all. We had 10 competitive air contracts in my company and it just gave me more options for roommates during flight school.