• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adadas_2

Hey everyone, I was registered at this site back in my early High School years, and still plan on applying for BDCP during my sophomore year in college. Anyways, I just wanted to see how you all felt about my record, because I've had a few things in the past that may cause me trouble. In terms of drugs, I used marijuana twice in my life, and plan to say so seeing what you all have said to other "drug using" posters. However, my bigger concern is that during the summer after my junior year, I was arrested for burglary (I was stupid enough to be dragged into a situation where I did not want to be there or participate...incredibly stupid yes I know, but there's nothing I can do about it). However, the juvenile court put me on a simple 90 day probation, made me attend one class session, and that was it. Afterwards, I talked to my intake officer, and he said he had alrad closed my record because I was "clearly a good kid" and had nothing else on my record. Other than that, I've never done anything bad, but I'm terrified that this one event will ruin my chances. So, my juvenile record is sealed as of now, and I have good grades, and am also an athlete on a very competetive tennis team. So what do you guys think? I really appreciate any help here.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Adadas... Well, both of these issues would clearly pose problems with your bdcp application. Burglary is a felony. As far as I know, you cannot be an officer in the U.S. military if you have a felony on your record. You need to find out if a felony exists on your record. If it does, I sincerely doubt that you could obtain a BDCP slot. The marijuana issue is tricky too. The navy most certainly doesn't like to see stuff like this. It is your decision on what you do on your app with that. The first step is to make absolutely clear that you don't have a felony on your record. If not, I think you definitely have a shot. Good luck man.

Adadas_2

Well, I know that I wasn't charged with anything at all, so I suppose that means that there is no felony charge, but I was told that I would have tos ay that I did have a juvenile record, but could just say I was detained. Also, the other person involved had it brought down to a misdemeanor, and was never charged. Any of this help my hope?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once or twice MJ use is not insurmountable. The Burglery could be a problem but juvenile stuff is handled very differently then adult violations and even more different between communities. The Navy will look at juvenile viloations for a trend. Most of the legal problems delt with on this board come from mistakes made in college, as adults. That just won't fly. You may have a shot with one juve offense. The rest of the app must be real strong though. I agree with Godspeed, you must first find out exactly what the charges were and the court's legal dispostion. Sounds like you intend to be honest about the bumps you have encountered. That is good, because no matter what you may be told, there is no such thing as a truely "sealed" record. For the benefit of others reading this that may not be inclined to be as honest as you, don't lie about an event that has been "sealed", they will find it.

Adadas_2

Thanks for the encouraging words. The event has been killing me ever sicne it happened. I mean, otherwise, I never had ANTYHING, was an honor student, four year athlete, fluent in another language. I was also ranked in the top 200 in the nation for my age category. Anyways, I'll stop ranting about that, but I'm very positive that I was not charged, just simply put on a 90 day probationary period where I obviously did not get into more trouble. If anyone has any more advice/comments, I'd greatly appreciate it, but thank you both for making me feel somewhat better about my chances of doing this. Now, how about them Bosox???

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
It sounds like you have a strong background. The navy loves to see the qualities you just listed. I agree with wink though. The government may have "sealed" your record, but also have to remember that you are dealing with the government. The navy will find this blemish if it exists, guaranteed. However, just because you have this mark on your background, if it is a juvenille offense, you still might have a shot. Just blow the ASTB out of the water, im talking 62+OAR. Write a very professional and mature sounding motivational statement, and fill up the awards/scholarships sections with all of your accomplishments. Just remember, always shoot for what you want in life. Just because this ding might hurt your chances, doesn't mean you shouldn't try. If you don't get it, at least you will be able to sleep at night knowing you gave it your best shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.