• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you guys do in lab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Through my explorations and such I've been able to glean what NROTC classes (like Intro to Naval Science) are like and the requirements that as a midshipman I would have to meet. The only thing I can't find is what the heck do you do in lab for 3 hours each week? Is it just learning general military topics, drill, or what? I'm kinda curious.

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
Well, honestly, lab is one of the most boring thing you will ever do in college. Our labs usually start in a formation, we wait, and wait, and wait, until the CO comes out. Then we go into a classroom, hear the BCO,BXO, OpsO, etc...make announcments, then we do a GMT (General Military Training). GMT is something you will do throughout your military career, so get used to it. They vary from Sexual Harrassment, Force Protection, Anti Terrorism, OpSec, Fraternization, etc.... Then you may have some drill practice, company/platoon time, and thats it.

Basically, it is the battallions time to play military :D

My favorite parts of NROTC are PT,Semper Fi, and the camraderie (sp?). I dont mind wearing the uniform either, kinda makes me proud (even though it is a Navy uni) :icon_rage

But dont worry, you'll have fun, it is what you make of it.

Good Luck

WannaBEaP3gal

Yeah, lab pretty much sucks a big one, there are certain topics that you are required to go over like every semester to meet CNET requirements like Sexual Harrassement briefs (so plan on it being repetitive), and I think CNET requires COD (close order drill) twice a semester... in our unit... we call that "change of command practice". Sometimes we do field meets and stuff during that time, which is always nice. It does however give you a chance to shoot the sh*t w/ everyone while you wait and wait and wait for it to start. And when it's over, a lot of people go out drinking, cause sometimes you just need to after sitting in a smelly auditorium for 2 hrs.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't forget it also counts as credit hours toward that all important "Military Science" minor.

"What the hell is 'Military Science'?"

"Uh....I went to ROTC lab...."

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
thats if u did not go to a super liberal school... Dean of A&S would not authorize it as a minor

snizo

Supply Officer
minor? haha no way GaTech would approve that for us. lab doesn't count for anything - no course credit or anything.

Our drills/labs are usually very organized. We start and end in formation, and do our thing ... like:

- Guest speakers: we get all sorts of people to come talk to us such as guys from the blue angels, ship and sub skippers, aviators, etc...
- GMT's: yes we get to do those too - they are required. We try and get through them as quickly as possible.
- Close Order Drill (marching): preparing for drill competition, teaching the new guys what to do, etc
- Security/Current Events Briefs: exactly what it sounds like - whats going on in the world
- Pipeline briefs: how you become an aviator and what you do after you graduate (how the training works, career plan), and some other communities the navy does that we don't care about here
etc

Our drill can be a bit boring sometimes, but they usually try to pair the less interesting things up with something that we want to hear about. I always had a good time if for no other reason than it was one of the times during the week that we were all together. As was already said - the camaraderie is awesome.

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
YA, like GaTech, we get no credit for Lab.

BUT THE ARMY and AF, i believe, get credit for lab AND PT, yep PT, it is an actual class they sign up for at 6am. AND it is voluntary for upperclassmen. ITS CRAZY. Whateva.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Dude, Jagges84, wouldn't they have to bribe you if you had to run around with a damn "Air Force" shirt on? :D
You forgot to mention how much fun it is to watch Gunny yell at the Company Commanders during drill. :icon_rage

frcabot

UCLA gives a fair number of credits per Nav Sci class, but no credit for the mandatory Lab. There are, however, free ROTC minors such as Military Science for AROTC, Naval Science for NROTC and Aerospace Studies for AFROTC although the AF boys/girls don't do much studying of aerospace, really :-D.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Sure is, Jagges84. Your post got me to thinking about that Minor thing so I talked to Chief and he's working on it right now.

frcabot said:
UCLA gives a fair number of credits per Nav Sci class, but no credit for the mandatory Lab. There are, however, free ROTC minors such as Military Science for AROTC, Naval Science for NROTC and Aerospace Studies for AFROTC although the AF boys/girls don't do much studying of aerospace, really :-D.

Probabaly b/c it's a UC.

At my school, we've got private and public endowed colleges within the university...guess who gets navsci credits and who doesn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.