• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What Do Officers Do When They Are On Hold?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ae2wolfe

I am enlisted right now.....While going to different schools there were times when I was on hold waiting to class up. During these times we were on barracks support and in 1st LT. cleaning and swabbing.

From different threads It seems that "on hold" for Officers is considered being stashed....I leave for OCS on 4 June as a SNFO....My question if I am "stashed " between OCS and API what will I be doing. Seriously doing...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends. All officers on hold (stashed, so to speak) who are prior enlisted get assigned various jobs cleaning heads, office spaces, and classrooms. Those who are not prior enlisted get sent away for the day to work on their golf game, PT, go to the beach, etc. The rational is that the prior enlisted guys won't be thrown into such culture shock that they go out and get themselves into trouble.

Serious.

ae2wolfe

For some reason I think that Steve may have things reversed the non-priors need to do the cleaning so they can get their sweeping and swabbing PQS all the prior enlisted got theirs years ago.......

HueyCobra8151

pilot
???
Just hang with the boys, right?

tg_12.jpg

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Muster when you have to, stay out of sight, and make sure your name does not get known in the office and have as much fun as you can while you still have the time.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
stash jobs I had:

muster on mondays, pt on thursdays (ctw-4, corpus), pre-wings

ctw-4 T-44 ferry pilot. fly studs to p-cola for medical on friday morning, pick up the guys from the previous week's trip after lunch, back in corpus in time for booze-ex.

Normally stash jobs are BS. Plenty of free time.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Michael W said:
If you're in the Marine Corps, there's a chance you'll get to do all the normal waiting around with everyone else, or you could go to Infantry Officers' Course if you have that much time. You also "might" be able to manipulate a trip to jump school. I hear it is rare, but if I have time, this is my goal, I just don't know who or how I'm going to swing that one.

Usually how long is IOC? Also about how long is jump school?

Thanks.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Drink... a LOT
and work on your tan on Pensacola Beach
and work out

for God's sake WHY would you want to go to IOC. I know some people think it's the "real Marine Corps" or some crap like that. Sure, some field work at TBS is fun, but trust me, after 2 years in a semi-wing life, you'll wonder why you ever contemplated IOC. Playing grunt is fun every now and then... being a grunt... no thanks. And ya, they're not going to send you to jump school... you can stop hoping for that right now. The Corps doesn't waste money sending people to schools to get useless quals.

/wants a first-b-billet fac tour
//does not want to be a grunt full time.

Reactions: E5B

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The pdf brochure says that IOC is ten weeks long...

If you managed to go to IOC while waiting to class up for API, does that count as a warfare qualification? Could you wear an infantry pin through flight school, and if/when you got your wings, augment to the oh-so-coveted Angel of Death/Jetpack Trooper specialty? :eek:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Early 1980's: Phone muster from my brother's house in California on M, W, F for 4 weeks. After I wore out my welcome - phone muster from my grandparent's house in Hawaii on M, W, F for 4 weeks. Than the Water Survival OIC (LCDR) I was "stashed" with decided he needed me to come back and be the overwater parasail demonstrator for about 8 weeks on Wednesday afternoons with a phone muster on M & F. (I probably coould have stayed away but it was a fun "job", plus I got to play with the boats, dunkers, etc whenever I wanted if they were not being used for students.) It was an extremely tough initial 16 weeks as an officer.....

They called it basket leave. The OIC had a filled out and signed leave chit that had the period blank in his desk drawer for me. If anything had happened, he would have filled in dates, approved and filed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.