• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do I have to do to become a naval aviator

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskiller

Hi there..

I have always wanted to be a Naval Aviator since I was 5 or 6. Now that I am a Seinor in High School, I need to be thinking about what I need to do to become one. I know my grades aren't good enough to get into the Academy, but there are plenty of other colleges that I can go to..

What kind of Grades and Majors do they look at for the Intro Flight Program at Pensacola?? Is the NROTC the best way to go for me since I won't go to the Academy? I havy many more questions, but I can't think of them, but I am sure that you guys and gals out there know where I am going to on these questions... :D

I think that I want this more than anything else in the world. I am willing to do what it takes to become a pilot. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Justin

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi Justin,

I recommend you read the required reading section of this website and search the forums for your questions first. They've been answered time and time again and a search will be of great help to you. If you have any more questions after doing that, ask away. We'd be more than happy to answer them.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
San Diego? What high school do you go to? I went to Mira Mesa High ('99). PM me if you have questions. Always willing to help out a fellow San Diegan :)

snizo

Supply Officer
Unfortunately none of us will be able to tell you how to get on the 'fast track to SNA' since the needs of the navy and standards are always changing. No one can tell you what it will be like when it comes time for you to select. Best of luck to you, though.

But - the required reading would be a good place to start.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good you are getting an early start. What ever you do do not delay an application. If you end up qualifing for a program you can apply to after your soph year then do so. Do not wait until you are a senior 2 months from graduating. Come into a recruiting office then telling the recruiter you have wanted to fly for the Navy your whole life and he will say where were you 2 years ago? Stay focused!

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Right now you should probably focus on:

1. Getting the best grades you can

2. Study your ass off for the college entrance exams

3. Community service is always a bonus on an application (college and ROTC)

4. Get in shape....PT PT PT,good for many obivous reasons

Best of luck....dont loose sight of the dream....there are many paths to the same goal, choose one and stick to it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Many ways to glory. I think I decided I wanted the Navy thing at the end of my sophmore year in high school. Grades sucked but I worked at it and finished strong. Of course, I'm still a rock but got into a state school and into the NROTC college program at UCLA. Picked up a 2-yr NROTC scholarship, picked up aviation, commissioned in 93, went to flight school, drank a lot, partied a lot, got.....well, you know...alot, earned my wings in 96 and here I am today. Moral of the story, if Bunk can do it, anybody can. See sig for more motivation :D

ripvanhinkle

Make your mind up that there is nothing else and make the sacrifice that you will do whatever it takes. You will never regret it.

Venom-0

Eagle Driver
There are many different ways to get there. NROTC, BDCP, Academy, PLC, OCS. Tons. Be careful though. Sometimes you might be an SNA with the Navy and then suddenly they don't need people and you'll be sent packing or they'll change your designator to whatever is open at that time. Remember one thing though, Navy isn't the only branch that flies. Keep your options open USAF, ANG, Marines are all good ways to get a flight slot and if you want to be a tactical jet guy, ANG might be one of the best ways to go. You'll get picked up straight as an Eagle or Viper or even a Hog Driver. ANG is quite picky though but nothing that cannot be done. Most of the ANG pilots are prior service pilots or they select a few of their enlisted people with college degrees to go that route. However, there are ways around it. You'll go to a regular Air Force UPT and then to Oregon for the F-15C RTU (if you're an F-15 Select).
In the end, if you really want to be a Naval Aviator, go for it man. It can be done and there are numerous ways to get there. There are thousands who have done it and if you put your mind to it, you can too.
Good Luck.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fezz CB said:
San Diego? I went to Mira Mesa High ('99).:)

Sorry, but I gotta ask....

"What percent get shot at there?"....just kidding....

AW Smileys galore....:D .

Good luck in the dream. Study hard, keep your nose clean and out of gangs/drugs and you have a good shot.

r/
G
former San Diegan 87-02.....lived right of Camino Ruiz and New Salem St for a while by the library...used to listen to gang gunfire on occasion...no kidding.

d00002

Sent packing

Venom-0 said:
Sometimes you might be an SNA with the Navy and then suddenly they don't need people and you'll be sent packing or they'll change your designator to whatever is open at that time.

Is it safe to assume that if your commission was a result of the academy, NROTC, or BDCP, the odds of being sent packing are around zero??

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Nope - congratulations on the education...here's your options or your pink slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.