• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What did Your parents think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
What did Your parents think when you told them you wanted to join the service? When you told them you wanted to fly?

Mine. My mom cried a litte (expected) and my pops (former Marine Captain) just wanted to know how everything played out. They both support me 150%. They both really like that PLC has no obligation, so when I graduate college, and I feel lead to something else in my life, then I'm not committed to it. So what's your story?

DBLang

PLC Candidate
My dad thought it was a great idea. My mom was really upset and told me to join the Air Force.

SMUPhil

After years of debating with my parents the age old argument of "what am I going to do with my life" the USMC decision sounded pretty good to them. They welcomed it with open arms. Their only worry was that I didn't drop out of college to enlist, which I didn't plan on doing.

Sins

My dad told me that I have good DNA and that as his only son I should pass along his bloodline and name before I get myself killed.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm the first Naval Officer in my family. My parents were proud and loved the idea.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
My Dad was supportive though not overwhelming excited, because I'm his only son and have lived on the opposite coast from him half my life...My mom said, "well I'm glad you got what you wanted." Nice huh.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
They were a little apprehensive at first, but now they're totally supportive. However some old family friends of ours weren't so happy. When I told them what I was doing, they just nodded, looked me in the eye and told me "You know Glen, it's not too late to take the LSAT's."
ME: "But I don't want to be a lawyer"
THEM: "Well, just telling you it's not too late"
ME: "I'm going to fly military aircraft"
THEM: "Maybe you and your brother can open a practice together.."
ME: "Here, drink some more wine..."

HueyHornet75

pilot
mom was a little apprehensive, at first, "oh, jason, no..." having been the daughter of a navy chief, married to a marine sgt and daughter-in-law to a marine sgt maj, i think she new it was in the blood.
she never cried when i left home for college, graduated college or got married, but she cried when i got commissioned.
dad thinks its ok, but gramps LOVES it.
semper fi

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
My Mom said she had a feeling I'd tell her something like that. She was scared I'd get hurt, but knew better than to try to talk me out of it.

My father would have loved it, I'm sure...

riley

My folks are outwardly supportive.

Father: "Maybe it is just a phase - I mean he's a bright kid."
Mom: "I hope so."
I come walking up: "Hello, I'm still trying to get into the Marines."
Parents: (In unison): "That's nice, dear."

They can't understand why I would leave a stable, well-paying job for the Marines, their thought is practical. They don't understand me wanting to make a difference, or flying something other than a desk, or taking a chance, or actually enjoying what I do.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
well, the first time i told them that i wanted to be a marine, they asked me if i wanted to die. they think that marines are some stupid-ass dudes standing in line waiting to be shot!!! i don't think so, if the marines had a medical corps, i'd join right now. although i like the navy and all, if i'd enlist, my choice would be either straight into the marines or go into the navy as a corpsman and join a marine battalion. no offense though, but i wanna wait and see if i can become an officer rather than enlist first. don't worry though, because when something goes wrong, i'm enlisting... WITH THE NAVY OR USMC, NOTHING ELSE.

airwinger

pilot
HueyHornet your gramps is awesome, you need to bring him to another wedding so I can corner him for hours and draw out tales of WWII.
Him "I need to get another beer"
me "I'll get someone to get it for you"
him "I need to use the head"
me "here's an empty beer bottle, you're not going anywhere "
;-)

HueyHornet75

pilot
airwinger, you are the man...i'll call you tonight, find out if "The Man" approved your damn leave. my money is on, "NO"...p.s. i'm trying to get gramps to the winging...if there is one...ha ha

GTodd

Well my Dad was cool about it although he thought it was a pipe dream he didn't beleive until I got selected
My Mom said she was disapointed, that I was wasting my college degree.
That changed once I was there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.