• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What did you do/have seen people do after retiring from the Navy as a NA/NFO?

caburt1

I know I am thinking way into the future but I am trying to get a feel for what life might look like after a career in Naval Aviation. I barely know who has been in the Navy. Actually, I don't know anyone who has been in the Navy at all.

What did you do/have seen people do after retiring from the Navy? How did your/their time in the Navy help you/them get there?

How does what people do after Naval Aviation change when someone retires after their initial commitment vs. when someone retires after 20+ years? Thank you!

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
WOW! I applaud you for thinking ahead of the airplane, but DAMN, no matter how great you are in school, I doubt you will get that SR-71 slot that requires thinking that far ahead!

You are asking fairly detailed questions to an audience of varied experience...much like asking what is your favorite color. The answer is, it depends. If anyone could even give you a solid answer, it would most certainly be different for you.

I will actually answer your question though...become a Naval Aviator and you prove that you can do damn near anything you want!

Pags

N/A
pilot
A point of clarification: there is no retirement after your initial commitment, you just get out with no retirement, medical, etc. you can't retire until you've completed 20yrs of service.

I've seen people do anything and everything under the sun; lawyers, finance, teacher, flying, defense, tech, oil, etc.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What did you do/have seen people do after retiring from the Navy? How did your/their time in the Navy help you/them get there?
Upon USN retirement, I personally went to college for 4 yrs via my GI Bill, then qualified for and hired as a Technical Writer/Editor for a major Turbojet/Turboprop engine & APU manufacturer. This, by reason of my Navy aircraft maintenance experience. I have seen other 'lifers', and 'one hitch' separatees hired for a wide range of civilian occupations, some involving their military experience fields, some in college major fields, and some totally unrelated to their military occupation. As a veteran, and especially a retired Officer, employers usually see you as potentially a valuable employee; for reliability, character, work ethic, and foremost, an experienced leader.:)
How does what people do after Naval Aviation change when someone retires after their initial commitment vs. when someone retires after 20+ years?
The only major difference is the potential length of the second career being somewhat longer for the end of commitment separatee by ~10 years, when compared with the 20+ year retiree. In either case, a highly regarded prospective employee by the company seeking quality employees.;)
BzB

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's see...lots of things to do from becoming President (Bush Sr) to Senators and Congressman, Fortune 500 CEOs, entrepreneurs, Airline Pilots (even NFOs have made that transition), General Contractors, Beach Bums, Merchant Vessel Masters, Govt Support Contractors or work for Prime Vendors...the list goes on and on!

caburt1

Upon USN retirement, I personally went to college for 4 yrs via my GI Bill, then qualified for and hired as a Technical Writer/Editor for a major Turbojet/Turboprop engine & APU manufacturer. This, by reason of my Navy aircraft maintenance experience. I have seen other 'lifers', and 'one hitch' separatees hired for a wide range of civilian occupations, some involving their military experience fields, some in college major fields, and some totally unrelated to their military occupation. As a veteran, and especially a retired Officer, employers usually see you as potentially a valuable employee; for reliability, character, work ethic, and foremost, an experienced leader.:)

The only major difference is the potential length of the second career being somewhat longer for the end of commitment separatee by ~10 years, when compared with the 20+ year retiree. In either case, a highly regarded prospective employee by the company seeking quality employees.;)
BzB

Thank you for sharing you story and giving a detailed answer. It was exactly what I wanted.