• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What can the Navy do for ME??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tickle

It looks like I was coming off as just "thinking about myself" but I was looking at it as knowing where I want to go and having some goals and using the experience to help the country by being able to develop better systems.

Well you now have a taste of how passionate people are about their military service. Think about what you are saying. You want to help the country by being able to develop better systems. This is a defense contractor mission statement. Officers help the country by developing better Marines and Sailors. Being an officer is about developing and leading people (and the flying thing is just a good time reward). There could probably be an argument about some type of engineering officer program but I am unfamiliar with them.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
And we all had our initial stint on active duty as well...

Oh yeah, that little bit of time....I didn't omit that on purpose, sir.

I'm sorry, but the whole tenor of the merged Lo Siento post just makes me sick.:icon_rage Wanting to join the Navy but having no desire to go to sea? Come on. That headwork just doesn't pass a stink test and indicates that you are either stupid or selfish, maybe both. And Lo Siento, I can safely say that more than half the guys I work with had better grades/degrees/stats than you. The rest aren't slouches either. If you think you are doing the Navy a favor by briefly donating your time and talent, so long as it's in Europe, then you are hugely mistaken. Sorry to burst your bubble cupcake; we don't need (or want) you.

Alright I feel better now. Sometimes you really just do need to vent....:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Much of the thread above is so amazing to me --- when I went in, all we wanted to do was fly for the U.S. Navy.

Be Naval Aviators ....

We were grateful to get through the screening process (it NEVER ends, in reality) and to just "be there".

No long term plans; nothing other than what we were doing "right now"and where we were going to be in the immediate future.

I guess life was "simpler" then. :)

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
"Much of the thread above is so amazing to me --- when I went in, all we wanted to do was fly for the U.S. Navy.

Be Naval Aviators ....

We were grateful to get through the screening process (it NEVER ends, in reality) and to just "be there". "

God bless A4s for saying it so concisely. Becoming a Naval Aviator is challenge enough, and for those that stay with it, the challenges never end. It's provided a lifetime of fulfillment and I can honestly say that I find rewarding challenges every day instructing in the T-45. I will look back on it all very fondly.

DixieTexian

That's why it's called "the service," and not "the eternally happy land of flowers, lollypops, and blowjobs."

Somebody must have lied to me. I'm quiting.

Oh, wait, maybe that's just the Navy and not the Marine Corps.:D

Actually, what A4 said is pretty spot on with how I feel about the whole deal.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We were grateful to get through the screening process (it NEVER ends, in reality) and to just "be there".

No long term plans; nothing other than what we were doing "right now"and where we were going to be in the immediate future.

Some of us are still that way, older brotha.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So wow, it looks like my post came off pretty badly. I don't want to get into an huge argument on here but here are some more of my thoughts. Keep the comments coming if I what I'm saying is just totally off the wall, I'd rather have the blatant truth then some BS answer that you get sometimes.

It looks like I was coming off as just "thinking about myself" but I was looking at it as knowing where I want to go and having some goals and using the experience to help the country by being able to develop better systems.

You are experiencing heavy seas because although you stated noble intentions, but then say you don't want to go to sea to garner what you need to become a SME in your chosen field and prefer the good life in Europe. Why not ask a few of the retired SMEs in your company what it took and where they served to accumulate their expertise? If you had left off the wanting to serve in Europe and not INCONSUS or at sea, you would be in relatively calm seas. You came across like Goldie Hawn in Private Benjamin thinking she would get a condo and lifestyle she wanted when she signed up in the Army.

1) I'm helping to develop systems for the Navy that I have no personal experience with and will more then likely never get to a chance see how the systems get used in a tactical environment. I kind of see a big problem with this which is why I'm trying to position myself to help out on the first boat install.

That must be years away then because I seriously doubt you have time to join Navy and serve your commitment and get back in time to influence anything realted to that first install.

2) I'm also a big believer in you should enjoy what you do and as soon as you see it as hard work you are in the wrong field of work and will be unhappy the more you do it. That is where I was coming from with the comment on enjoying life.

Did you watch the recent PBS special on life aboard an Aircraft Carrier? Nobody in Navy gets by without Hard Work and other hardships that come with life in the Navy and at sea.

- Your job should be challenging you everyday and when you have to put in that extra effort I don't think it should be work to you, just a fun challenge that needs to be accomplished. When you take a job you take the good and the bad of the job.
- Before someone jumps all over this one I see the meaning of "work" as something you do but won't enjoy as a whole.

If you really think this way, Navy is not for you as you will get many challenges that do not appear "fun" at all.

So when I go into my current job I see it as a fun challenge and enjoy doing it, but think I'm going about it the wrong way and not getting the experience I need to do it the best I can.

If you are in your first year of being a Systems Engineer, you aren't expected to have all the answers or do it all by yourself. Your company hires those SMEs for good reason and you should be tapping them for all they know. I have been working in Systems Engineering for 14 years now and met many bright Systems Engineers without a day in the military, but they knew how to listen and identify warfighter requirements. Some of the most useful capabilities of AIM-9X, JHMCS and F-14 LANTIRN were due to Systems Engineers working side-by-side with SMEs to solve vexing issues. I worked on all three from start to fielding and through follow-on upgrades. I saw bright Systems Engineers cut their teeth on challenges. Only one wanted to learn more about warfighter as you do and he enlisted in the reserves and has made two OIF deployments (I respect that a lot and he's become one of my close friends).

Joe you made a good point my comments on being a SME was kind of contradicting lol.

Maybe this post helped some or maybe you guys are thinking wow this guy is a jack*** I don't know but would like some more of your opinions on the matter especially with my #1 comment above and what your thoughts are on that.

Thanks

You asked for feedback so here it is^^^

How Selective Are Navy Officer Programs?

Does anyone know where I can find the selectivity of Navy Officer programs. Ideally I'd like to find:
* the number of applicants to each program
* percentage accepted
* yield (percentage of those offered a slot who say yes I accept)
* average undergraduate GPA
* average OAR (Office Aptitude Rating) of those accepted

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know where I can find the selectivity of Navy Officer programs. Ideally I'd like to find:
* percentage accepted

Generally, VERY farking selective.

1. A LOT more than the available slots
2. It was 6% acceptance rate when I got in. (I'm sure it varies quite a bit year to year)
3. no clue, but probably HIGH since the process is so long and demanding.
4. better than yours
5. See #4.

P.S. STOP trolling.

phrogpilot73

* percentage accepted
Why?

schwarti

Contributor
It also varies - do you mean BDCP, straight OCS, NROTC, Academy, STA-21...? "Officer Programs" is a pretty general term, and it sounds like you're asking for "all of the above" - but they're very different. The one real constant (that I'm aware of) - they're very selective and don't necessarily rely on GPAs or exam scores, although those play a large role in selection.

cisforsmasher

pilot
Shut it, joboy. Get off your high horse and give the kid a break. There are plenty of things that you could have said that would have been more helpful and had more tact. As you say, you are just a butter bar, stop pretending otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.