• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What can I expect as a Computer Science major?

Dalamara

Hi everyone! This is my first post at airwarriors but hopefully not the last.

My question is what kind of job can I expect to get with a Bachelors of Science in Computer Science?

Currently I am finishing up my freshman year of college. Next year I'm going to be transfering to a different school which has a NROTC program. I've talked to the officers there and they plan on setting me up with the Tweedale scholarship. It's pretty much like a 3 year NROTC scholarship except it's restricted to technical majors who have some college credit already. I'll go through OCS after graduation and all that.

I haven't gotten very much information on my career options and would like to know from some of the more experienced people out there what I can expect.

The NROTC branch trains all the unrestricted lines and I would most likely pursue the surface warfare branch; although I'm starting to think the Spec Ops branch might be a better option for me.

How much leeway does the Navy give you in making decisions about what you want to do? I am a very physical guy, I love working out, and I looove shooting. However my major is Computer Science and logically the Navy would stick me in some tech job or something.

Thanks everyone!

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
First off... nice burn on eddie.

NROTC will commission you into an Unrestricted Line community... surface warfare, aviation, subs, marines, specwar, etc.

www.navy.com for more information... etc etc

This fall my classmates and I filled out our "dream sheets" for what designators we'd like to get. From there that paper got entered into a computer and big navy came back and let everyone know what was happening a few months later. The Navy does not (right now at least) force you into any one community based on your major.

Off the top of my head, the guys from Penn State in my class who are going aviation major in IST, Math, Kineseology, History (x2), Meteorology, Mechanical Engineering, and Aerospace Engineering. Its a mix of tech and non-tech throughout my unit. There's a bias towards tech majors for selection (you get a few more points) and the Navy looks for technical majors to join the program so we're more tech heavy than other groups on campus... but they don't force us to pick based on majors.

Being a technical major doesn't mean a lot for where you'll end up... but odds are they are going to come at you hard to go subs. Even after being picked up for aviation in December, I still had to sit through one last ditch effort where they tried to talk me into going to the dark side.

Specwar/specops is hard to get into... if you want it and are motivated enough go for it, but the numbers are not in your favor. Tons of applicants for only a few slots.

Dalamara

Thanks for your reply. It's very helpful! My main fear was that they would stick me in some dark room filled with computers because of my major, but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Oh and these forums are heavenly! Everyone uses punctuation, grammar, and can spell... correctly!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dalamara said:
Thanks for your reply. It's very helpful! My main fear was that they would stick me in some dark room filled with computers because of my major, but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Not with the Navy, but the Air Force is another story...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dalamara said:

Oh and these forums are heavenly! Everyone uses punctuation, grammar, and can spell... correctly!

hevenly...yeah dat's da case heah we is all reely good stiks and fOs and can fly aihplanezs wicked good but we sumtimez hav ishues wid long runond sentances that nevah seemm to ende so chill wid me homeys n n-joy yosef.

We likes to cal usselves delicious.

70584828_2c8867818c_o.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
r/
G
aka the "Punctuation Policeman"

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Not with the Navy, but the Air Force is another story...

In the Navy you just have people like Fly who do that sort of thing for fun during their free time...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zippy said:
In the Navy you just have people like Fly who do that sort of thing for fun during their free time...

Don't be hating my knowledges

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
raptor10 said:
but, you have no knowledges
Careful middie... you're talking to an Officer... with wings.

Also he might "hax0r" your computer. And I read something about a gun collection.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Okay, with that picture... I just... sighh

It terrifies me that I may have to fly with you someday... ;)