• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What can I do to make myself more competitive?

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Ok, so now that I am done with college I am wondering what other things I could do to make myself more "well rounded" or more competitive. My concern is that I wasn't a rockstar in college, I was in a couple of clubs but I didn't hold any leadership positions. I was involved in several extra curriculars in high school, including: several varsity sports, co-Captain of my soccer team, I held a couple of officer position in NJROTC, but I don't think those things carry much weight at this point.

I have been a volunteer fireman for 4 years now and I have volunteered probably a couple thousand hours, at least, during that time and I'm a member of a few committees in my department. That should cover community service.

So other than being in great shape, volunteering, and crushing the ASTB, what else could I do to make myself more competitive now that I'm out of college?

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Letters of recommendation. Three at a minimum, military members if able. The more important the person, the better. Your fire chief (or whatever you call the boss) would be a good one.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
use your fire fighting exp. in your essay. I had a deputy fire chief (my friends pop) write me a letter. You sound fairly solid already. I didn't have nearly the stuff you had, just work management experience.

MasterBates

I lived in a small town.. I had the fire chief and the fire company Captain write LORs.

That and a college prof who was a retired SWO Nuke.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Agree with the LOR's.

Also what about some flight time? Not saying spend the money to get a PPL but get some type of flight training.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
A few hours of bug smasher time isn't going to make you any more competitive. You have to remember the flight training pipeline is designed for people that have never sat in a cockpit, plus the application package is about the whole person concept.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I lived in a small town.. I had the fire chief and the fire company Captain write LORs.
I take it they got to know you well after responding to a few mad scientist experiments gone wrong?

MasterBates

That, combined with about 36,000 gallons worth of Petroleum tankers being parked on the farm.

For the record, that big explosion/fire in JAX last month was NOT my Biodiesel reactor blowing up.. What is scary is the ex still has that, and 3 drums worth of Methoxide.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
That, combined with about 36,000 gallons worth of Petroleum tankers being parked on the farm.

For the record, that big explosion/fire in JAX last month was NOT my Biodiesel reactor blowing up.. What is scary is the ex still has that, and 3 drums worth of Methoxide.
You might want to keep that to yourself...or report her to ATF.

Your call.:D

MasterBates

She took responsibility for "all scientific apparatus and chemicals" that she refused to turn over. I offered to take and dispose of, she refused to let me on the property to get them. No longer my problem according to the judge.

I still have the computer that runs the whole thing, I just have not had time or a place to set another one up.

JohnnyUtah

100% Pure Adrenaline
Lifeguard?

This is just a random guess, but does anyone think getting a lifeguard certification would make an applicant substantially more competitive? :snorkel_1

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This is just a random guess, but does anyone think getting a lifeguard certification would make an applicant substantially more competitive? :snorkel_1

I was CPR/AED qualified when I applied. I put it down, but am clueless as to how it was viewed by the boards. (I just ended up redoing the certifications at OCS after they expired, so whatever).

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
That had the shortest odds in the JOPA pool after he emailed his wish list out to the squadron looking for materials.:eek:

I just laughed out lout.

MB you should give the EPA an anonymous tip on the MANA-T. What ever happened with the plate story? Did she get 'em?