• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

what can happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boobytrapper

What are the most common reasons why people who are given pilot slots do not become aviators? (aside from flunking out, etc)

Goliath112

I was just kidding about the "they suck" thing. There are many reasons for failures to complete flight training. I don't know what they are. You can get re-designated though but, that is not always a guarantee. Alot of times you might sent home. I think it depends on how far you are in the training. I think most go to SWO or Supply. which are both great jobs in my opinion. SWO is a little hard on a person though.

man the wait is killing me

wilsonator

I was talking to a buddy of mine who went through pilot training about 2 years ago and is now flying p3s. This is what he said. You would be surprised about the number of people who make the decision to become military pilots and they have never even been in an airplane before. I know that there is an ongoing argument about whether prior flight training helps and I believe it does and you have to be off your rocker to not at least get a privat pilots license. Not from the standpoint of knowing how to fly but just to see if you really like it. I'm currently working as a flight instructor and some people come in sign up for lessons, get in the airplane and freak out. Some get sick, some just don't like the feeling, some just don't have the knack, and lots don't really understand the BS you have to go through to get a license. For example the weather, the aerodynamics, the regulations, people don't realize how much work it is and how easy it is to kill yourself if you're not on the ball. I don't want to scare anyone but go get a couple of lessons, check it out make sure it's fun to you before you sign up for 8 years. My 2 cents.

FLY NAVY!!!!

Camille

Jeff

There are millions of reasons people dont make it through the flight program and whether they attrite or they DOR they are basically in the same boat. The Navy is not just going to let you go home, but they may let you redisignate if something is available, but typicaly they are sent General Aviation to serve out the rest of their time. Those I know who have done this have all been sent to a carrier to do odd jobs. With they Navy, there is also the option of going to another platform. We see some guys leaving Meridian for Helo land or P3s. Marines dont give this option, but I have also seen Marines cross commission over to the Navy to go back to Helos.

My 2 cents on prior time... I think it does have an advantage for guys in Primary, but the program is designed for someone with no flight time. I personally just got 3 hours in a Kitana to make sure I enjoyed being in the air, and most guys in training know very little about flying going into it. For me it was just to expensive in the civilian world so I just let the Navy train me.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
I think the "they suck" comment was right on!!! Of course there are other factors as people have pointed out. Prior flight time helps sometimes, but some of the worst pilots I've seen in fligth school had prior time. I don't know what that means, just an observation.
As for what to do if you don't make it. It usually consists of being stashed somewhere for about 6 months while the Navy makes a spot for you. You can go Gen Av, but after a year there you have to move on to another community (SWO, etc.) You can put in a packet to go straight to SWO. You go to an interview, they see if they want you (haha) and then send you to SWOS. The drawback to that is that you will probably be a little bit behind your peers. You can also try to go intel, cec, etc, but it is rather hard. More than likely it is SWO, or Gen Av.
As for redeisgnating within aviation, you can only go down the ladder. (ie, you cannot fail out of helos, and go jets.) You can however go to NFO if they think you would do well down there. I don't know if I could give up the stick in the cockpit though!!

Dave Shutter

Back to the original question: there are many reasons and I know people that have covered just about all of them.

Academics: API and Primary ground school are the two mine fields you have to get through before you get near a plane. Anyone with a reasonable ammount of intelligence can learn what's taught but the question is can you learn it all in the time frame given. It's not rocket science, but it's a lot of material in a short time. You have to absorb it. Guys with engineering degrees and the such said API was some of the easiet studying they've done since they were freshman and they have the grades to prove it. However if you're a non-techie or haven't studied a lot in college, you can succeed, but your going to have to put out. Fail a couple events in API or ground school and you'll find yourself standing in front of a board having your personal life dissected. You'll almost always get a second chance but fail some more events and you'll be on your way.

Medical/physiology: Chronic airsickness, vertigo, low G tolerance, sinus/ear problems...the list goes on and on. The flight physical, as throrough as it is, is just an overview in reality. There are dozens of conditions you could potentially have that will go unnoticed until you're flying regularly. The flight surgeons have seen almost everything and they can treat a lot of problems but some things are beyond their control, and the avg. students tolerance, which brings us to...

DOR: Drop On Request. For whatever reasons you've come to the conclusion that flying is no longer something you want to do or that the return is not worth the investment. Maybe the prospect of ten more years in the service is no longer appealing or maybe your family situation is no longer compatible with years of deployments and constant moves. Some people are quick to criticise, labeling them as "quiters" or "losers who can't hack it", but the reality is that it's an agonizing personal decision and unless you're in that person's shoes, you have no idea what you're talking about.

boobytrapper

Thanks very much for the replies.

So it's not very likely that they will switch your designator against your will as long as you do good in training?

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Once you start training as an aviator, they are not going to stop you unless you do the things that Dave listed. The Navy can't just wake up one day and say, ummm.... YOU, screw you, you are going subs! I mean I guess they can do whatever they want, but it doesn't happen. Once an aviator, you have to do something to get yourself to not be an aviator.

ghost_ttu

I think Glenn is just saying that you DO sign a contract, and the in that contract they will list the things that will terminate that contract. So aslong as you don't have something that terminates the contract they won't breach it.

Dave Shutter

DOR'ing or attriting is not always a guarantee of an exciting GENAV tour but that's what usually happens, especially if it's early in training or in API. If you have experience in another field that can transfer to a Navy job, and that community picks you up, you may find yourself there. I've heard people say: "If I attrite I can always go be a SEAL!" Not quite. If you seperate from the program, be it for poor performace, medical, or DOR (which many perceive as "quiting") than SEALS won't even look at you as well as other competetive communties like INTEL, Nuke, Crypto etc. I've also heard that when medically NPQ'd for something beyond your control, when you were a good student, that your command will help with switching designators to something more favorable than "fueling officer" or "garbage scowl Div-O". Anything's possible.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
something more favorable than "fueling officer" or "garbage scowl Div-O". Anything's possible.

There is no shame in being a Grape!

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.