• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are the tests like?

Benson

I am in the pool now... and have been for a month - looking to start API in Mid to late March. I have read Aero and Weather, and at the end of each chapter I review the ELO's and answer all the questions. If i am not having any problems answering those questions... does that mean that I shouldn't have a hard time with the test's? The reason I ask is cause I want to know if I should push into systems and nav... or should I focus on something else within Aero and Weather.

Thanks in advance for the help

UMichfly

pilot
None
Mid to late March...that gives you approximately 2 months to drink that nonsense out of your mind. You're in the pool. Enjoy it while you can...the pain is coming. :icon_wink Once you actually start API, know the ELO's. For now...just know the things that will get you kicked out of Seville (letting lobsters from the Lobster Crane game go free on the dance floor anyone?).

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Nice, read the engine/systems, go online and get the gouge for API from, marinegouge.com navygouge.com, bensgouge.com. But have fun maybe spend 2hrs a day studying.
But you are way ahead of your peers.

torpedo0126

unless your just got BACK into the pool from IFS, or you;ve been in A-pool longer than a month, or you volunteered for Vance, you most likely will be classing up first week of June. MAYBE last week of May. I'd relax.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
unless your just got BACK into the pool from IFS, or you;ve been in A-pool longer than a month, or you volunteered for Vance, you most likely will be classing up first week of June. MAYBE last week of May. I'd relax.

New policy as of this afternoon says maybe not. Class-up dates are now based on the date you commissioned, not the date you checked in. I know because I was told last week I would class up about 27 MAR, made some sweet plans to take some leave and see a bit of the world, and was told today I'm classing up Friday.

Still, though...relax. Enjoy the paid vacation while it lasts.

torpedo0126

thats awesome. what was your commission date? that is a much smarter policy too. because some people don't get cut orders until later even though they've been commissioned for awhile (like me). you've inspired me to go bother flight management tomorrow!

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Anything other than the beach, beer, ladies and the McGuires run is a total and utter waste of time in preparing for API. Having read Aero and Wx you have already studied to much. The API tests are ghey and tricky but its nothing a little gouge and group study DURING API (not before) can't fix.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't need to bother studying before you class up. That's not because the material's hard - it's not, there's just a shitload of it - but because there's a lot of stuff in the ELOs that you don't really need to bother learning. Some of it's extraneous, some is redundant, and there are a few things that are wrong (make sure you get the errata sheets from Book Issue).

I'd say, at most, take the time in the week or so before you class up to read through the FTIs. Or at least, AvWx and Aero, which will be your first two classes. Not saying you should try to memorize anything, just a read-through.

In the meantime, stay in shape, don't do anything un-officer-like, and don't drink too many brain cells to death. This is probably the last extended period you'll have in the Navy with no real obligations, tasking, or responsibilities.

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
Seriously, just enjoy your time at the beach. Study a few hours each day (after starting API) and you should be golden. Make sure you supplement your study with GOUGE; as of Feb '08, a couple of the tests still had 80-85% of the same questions as the gouge samples on navygouge.com.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
thats awesome. what was your commission date?

I commissioned May 3rd, and was told this morning I'm pushed to next week. They've also upped the number of pilots per class from 8 to 21, but I think that was probably covered in muster this morning (I wasn't there today, so I'm not sure).

torpedo0126

yea, no, your right. The number of pilot slots have been upped. My school was on trimester so I commissioned on June 19th so I might still be classing up wayyyyy back there. However, I thankfully will get pushed ahead of recent OCS grads since I was stashed until November.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with everyone who says not to bother studying. This is now your profession, and you ain't got shit to do, so why not try to become a little more professionally proficient?
I've been in this mythical fleet for about a year, and we still use punchlines like "L/D Max," "High-Pressure Systems," "Turbine Engines," "OPNAV 3710.7T," and "Airfoil Stall." Whoever tells you that you'll never need to know this stuff is full of shit. I'm a helo guy (the guys who should be using it the least), and I still reach back into my brain-housing group to dig up some API info.

DFSpence

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with everyone who says not to bother studying. This is now your profession, and you ain't got shit to do, so why not try to become a little more professionally proficient?
I've been in this mythical fleet for about a year, and we still use punchlines like "L/D Max," "High-Pressure Systems," "Turbine Engines," "OPNAV 3710.7T," and "Airfoil Stall." Whoever tells you that you'll never need to know this stuff is full of shit. I'm a helo guy (the guys who should be using it the least), and I still reach back into my brain-housing group to dig up some API info.

I like it. As a recent SNA pro-rec, I already have the itch to start reading and learning about aviation from the Navy perspective. I am eager to start API, and I figure that as long as I am wary of bad gouge, looking at info on this site and others (such as navygouge.com) can only help me. Just my two pennies.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor

You absolutely need to know what is taught its just that from my experience there was plenty of time to learn all of the info during API. Pool time could be better spent staying in shape and getting mentally ready to do some long hard studying.

I did not study before API classed up and I burned out in the end and failed FR&R the first time around. Second time around I got a 98. I can only image how burned out I would have been if I had been force feeding that crap weeks in advance. Its just better to wait and have your instructor weed through all the fluff with the class. All of the really important API stuff will be reinforced in primary and advanced.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree with everyone above. There were more than a few learning objectives that my instructors told us we didn't need to know, and I'd hate to have been the guy that wasted time studying useless material before I classed up. Like uncle fester said, a good read through of each subject is all you need. I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination, and I made it through just fine. Study the learning objectives once you class up, get with a good group that studies hard instead of f-ing around, and you'll do great.