• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are the exercise options onboard ships?

Dalamara

I'm really into being physically fit and love weight lifting. What are the exercise conditions on ships at sea? Are there weight rooms on every ship? Treadmills, bikes? I assume that the bigger the ship, the more room and better the equipment, but is that necessarily true? Also how crowded do the exercise areas get?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dalamara said:
I'm really into being physically fit and love weight lifting. What are the exercise conditions on ships at sea? Are there weight rooms on every ship? Treadmills, bikes? I assume that the bigger the ship, the more room and better the equipment, but is that necessarily true? Also how are crowded do the exercise areas get?
Yes/yes/yes/yes/depends, but usually crowded. :D

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, it depends on what kind of ships at sea you are talking about. PM me what you're referring to and I'll give you the straight scoup.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Well, it depends on what kind of ships at sea you are talking about. PM me what you're referring to and I'll give you the straight scoup.

MTS, scoup ->keyboard malfunctions? Have you been following your 3M procedures?

nublett

Been there, done that.
You probaly don't want subs of any kind, exercise equiptment, like the space for it, is limited.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Dalamara said:
Also how are crowded do the exercise areas get?

I don't know if this is standard on carriers, but the Vinson had khaki hours from 1400-1600. Even that could get crowded, but at least you weren't lining up outside waiting for people to leave so you could go in (we affectionately referred to that time as "prison hours").

Anyway, last cruise, the money time to go was around 1300-1330, because most E-6 and below were done working out by then, and the bulk of the Khaki started showing up around 1430 or so. I was usually out of there before it got too crowded.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Dalamara said:
I'm really into being physically fit and love weight lifting. What are the exercise conditions on ships at sea? Are there weight rooms on every ship? Treadmills, bikes? I assume that the bigger the ship, the more room and better the equipment, but is that necessarily true? Also how are crowded do the exercise areas get?

If you can't find an adequate weight room, this might help: http://www.ihpfit.com/store/products.php?ProductID=16

I have met the guy, he is very wise in the ways of strength training.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Cruise socks help for burning calories as well. Also, on a Cruiser you can run around the 01 level countless times.