• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my options if I receive an unfavorable pre-screening for my security clearance?

CWO_change

There has to be more to the OP’s story. Having family in another country is not a reason for denying a TS.

That was my immediate thought, too. And I know fellow CWOs who have family in Iran, Russia, and China with TS/SCI at that. Something else is definitely up. Hell, I have relatives from three foreign nations myself, and was favorably screened for and received a TS clearance.

exNavyOffRec

There has to be more to the OP’s story. Having family in another country is not a reason for denying a TS.

I have, I had a candidate for nuke who was denied as his father still lived in Vietnam, I worked for a LCDR and his father in law was in the Japanese government and he had his clearance suspended for many months until they did a very detailed investigation.

SClawyer

It's an extreme case, but the DOHA appeals board has held that one relative in a foreign country is enough to DQ you. It's whether or not that family can be used as a tool to make you a risk for exploitation/coercion by the government of that country. They take into account how adverse that country's relationship is to the U.S., what the family member does for a living (government employment makes it worse), the closeness of your ties to the family in the country, and how frequently you're in contact with them.

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
I say this often - talk to the Army - they are so much bigger than the Navy and they are always looking for Cyber folks.

My bet is - you have a much better shot wiggling into the Army with something that the Navy might not be willing to over look than you might imagine.

I'm Navy for life likely - I'd jump ship for the right gig - but I will candidly confess that I find the Army more accepting and easier to work with than the Navy.

One person can be enough to get an unfavorable pre-screen but it doesn't mean you have to give up if you are actually clean. The other folks you mention could be connected to things that make it tricky for you - I don't think that's fair but it happens and I get why it would be a red flag.