• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my options if I receive an unfavorable pre-screening for my security clearance?

CyWEplz

Hey I'm planning to apply to OCS for Intel but I received an unfavorable pre-screening over the phone interview because I have family members that are residents of another country. I am US born and only hold citizenship here. I have never been and will never go to the country that my family is from. None of my family members have ever returned since moving here (naturalized citizens).

I believe that if the investigation were to go thru, it would be obvious that I am not necessarily friendly with that country. Neither is my family who literally had to escape because of a radical government. They were not treated well there and feared for their lives.

I am saddened at the unfavorable pre-screening because I am very passionate about what I want to do and I want a chance. I am getting my masters degree in software engineering this year and I'm not really interested in any of the other jobs. Is there anything I can do? Appeal, ask to be reconsidered, explain my situation, etc? Thanks in advance.

exNavyOffRec

Hey I'm planning to apply to OCS for Intel but I received an unfavorable pre-screening over the phone interview because I have family members that are residents of another country. I am US born and only hold citizenship here. I have never been and will never go to the country that my family is from. None of my family members have ever returned since moving here (naturalized citizens).

I believe that if the investigation were to go thru, it would be obvious that I am not necessarily friendly with that country. Neither is my family who literally had to escape because of a radical government. They were not treated well there and feared for their lives.

I am saddened at the unfavorable pre-screening because I am very passionate about what I want to do and I want a chance. I am getting my masters degree in software engineering this year and I'm not really interested in any of the other jobs. Is there anything I can do? Appeal, ask to be reconsidered, explain my situation, etc? Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly you have to have a good pre-screen in order to apply. I had one applicant who during the screening process did not clear, ultimately he became tired of the process and stopped trying to go through hoops.

I would work with your recruiter and processor to see what info they need that could please the investigator.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
A ) why only Intel? Software Engineering =/= what an Intel O does...? If you want only to serve, as you are suggesting, there are plenty of ways to do that without a TS/SCI.

"But it's cool to know all of the secrets and I want to be cool man!" Okay, then...

B )

Call this office. Tell them the truth. See what they say. It may take some time, but you said that you are committed and this is what you want to do...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I never had a pre-screening interview. Unless this is something you get after you're selected?
you fill out the NASIS form and it gets submitted, if I remember right if there were questions then a screening was done.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is that we're going off the OP's side of the story. There might be other details he is omitting (whether its intentional or not) which can impact getting a favorable TS-SCI prescreen or not. The OP states he is a US-only citizen, per the foreign clearance guide he MIGHT be a dual citizen because of his parents. For example, I had an applicant who's Korean. Even though he was born in the US, because his parents were born in Korea he is considered a dual citizen.

The prescreen is a process for IWC applicants, usually between when they're PROREC'd and Final Selection. Though, sometimes recruiters will work with the Regional SSO/Security Office before applying to see if they're a candidate for a TS or not.

I've only seen one IWC applicant get a non-favorable prescreen but it was somewhat expected. Other than that, the rest all had favorables. I did have some Nuke/NUPOC applicants who went through a similar screening process and were denied/disapproved. There isn't any sort of appeal process and more times than not the office doesn't give reasons why.

The OP can "try" to appeal, but no clue if that's even an option. It's recommended to pursue other OCS programs (which has been hinted) which might not require a TS immediately.

CyWEplz

If I remember correctly you have to have a good pre-screen in order to apply. I had one applicant who during the screening process did not clear, ultimately he became tired of the process and stopped trying to go through hoops.

I would work with your recruiter and processor to see what info they need that could please the investigator.

Unfortunately he just told me to consider other jobs that don't require a clearance (supply, civil engineering).

A ) why only Intel? Software Engineering =/= what an Intel O does...? If you want only to serve, as you are suggesting, there are plenty of ways to do that without a TS/SCI.

"But it's cool to know all of the secrets and I want to be cool man!" Okay, then...

B )

Call this office. Tell them the truth. See what they say. It may take some time, but you said that you are committed and this is what you want to do...

My degree has a concentration in cybersecurity and that is where my interest lies. I hear 1840 is extremely competitive so I am just going for 1810 (sounds better to me too).

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a shot.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is that we're going off the OP's side of the story. There might be other details he is omitting (whether its intentional or not) which can impact getting a favorable TS-SCI prescreen or not. The OP states he is a US-only citizen, per the foreign clearance guide he MIGHT be a dual citizen because of his parents. For example, I had an applicant who's Korean. Even though he was born in the US, because his parents were born in Korea he is considered a dual citizen.

The prescreen is a process for IWC applicants, usually between when they're PROREC'd and Final Selection. Though, sometimes recruiters will work with the Regional SSO/Security Office before applying to see if they're a candidate for a TS or not.

I've only seen one IWC applicant get a non-favorable prescreen but it was somewhat expected. Other than that, the rest all had favorables. I did have some Nuke/NUPOC applicants who went through a similar screening process and were denied/disapproved. There isn't any sort of appeal process and more times than not the office doesn't give reasons why.

The OP can "try" to appeal, but no clue if that's even an option. It's recommended to pursue other OCS programs (which has been hinted) which might not require a TS immediately.

I'm not a dual citizen.

I want to at least try. If it ends up not working out, then I will consider other options that are still available to me.

BigRed389

None
Is a Prescreen interview basically the same as a SSBI interview?

Other than foreign affiliations, drugs, money, criminal issues, and family in relation to the others, there aren’t really all that many reasons to turn someone down for a clearance.

If someone is not likely to get a TS/SCI, I would question advising them to pursue any career as an officer. While some communities may not need it as often (eg CEC, Supply, etc) as others do (IWC - always, all URL eventually) there are still going to be jobs and commands that require it...and not knowing if certain doors will be closed to you is no way to start a career. My 2c.

But I know a few officers, as I’m sure most do, with similar backgrounds to the OP with parents emigrated from countries not friendly with the US, who are doing secret squirrel stuff.

azguy

None

I did one (once already cleared) when transferring to a job requiring regular TS access. Didn't go through the SF-86 and was held over the phone...just a bunch of yes/no questions that went through the major disqualifiers. Guessing this is pretty similar to what the OP is describing.

If someone is not likely to get a TS/SCI, I would question advising them to pursue any career as an officer. While some communities may not need it as often (eg CEC, Supply, etc) as others do (IWC - always, all URL eventually) there are still going to be jobs and commands that require it...and not knowing if certain doors will be closed to you is no way to start a career. My 2c.

Yes. I knew a great SWO who couldn't get a TS and ended up getting out after his post-DIVO shore tour as he knew it would really limit him down the road. His issue was foreign ties. Not knocking the system; I personally think we could tighten things up. Other countries are a lot more strict than we are.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Unfortunately he just told me to consider other jobs that don't require a clearance (supply, civil engineering).

While not a TS, those jobs are still SECRET-level.

While IWC might not be an option, there are still other Officer programs that might be a fit for you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

@azguy nailed it. It’s a basis screening / questionnaire done with the security officer to see if the individual is a suitable candidate for a TS clearance. Recruiting command does it for all IWC applicants to see if it’s worth it $$$ to conduct the TS clearance or not.

I had to have a prescreen interview because I was living overseas when I applied. My interviewer was very friendly and we talked about the process. The interviewer puts everything in a report and someone else decides. I also had to have two colleagues get interviewed on my behalf. I would assume that something you said and something someone else said did not align as that was a common reason she gave for people getting unfavorable recommendations. She also gave me information on how I could request a copy of the whole report. So my first step, if I were you, would be to email or call the interviewer and see who you get a copy of the report from, they you will know what is unfavorable and possibly fix it. It is not their job to help you but generally will if you are polite.

LT Rich Santos

Officer in Charge, TAOC Orlando, NTAG Jacksonville

The prescreen is now required to be submitted as part of the kit. It is conducted by the Regional NIFR OIC.