• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

what are my chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I just spoke to a Navy Officer Recruiter today about applying for OCS. He mentioned that pilots slots are full for sometime now, but that NFO is open. I'm going to be finishing my undergrad in November and I want have my app all ready to go. The problem is my GPA is not that great at all. It's looking like I'm gonna finish up with a 2.7xx (damn non-major classes and German killed me). The recruiter said good reference letters will help out as well as test scores. I'm kinda worried about this because I hear about folks with 4.0's that get rejected. Here's my info:
Bachelor's in Political Science
History minor and International Studies- Europe certificate
currently in the Naval Reserves (E-3, enlisted last summer)- will this help?
I had Congressional Nominations to USNA and USAFA in high school (will this help out at all?)
some German language skill
moderate extracurricular activity (intramural sports in collge, NHS and Boy Scouts in HS)
very limited volunteer work- this will probably kill me
reference letters: how does this sound? Colonel in the AF, Chief Warrant Officer 4 in the Army, my unit's CO (Commander) and hopefully my Congressman again. Do I need more?
I'm in pretty decent shape- I run every other day, lift occassionally, mt. bike and play ice hockey.
My record is clean except for a couple traffic tickets before I turned 18
I've travelled abroad a few times also

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. I have the two ARCO books and will begin studying in between work and school work (lots of reading and papers to write for my last quarter
banghead_125.gif
). I've wanted to be an officer since I was like 5 years old and this is my last chance at getting in. I wish my college would of had NROTC. I noticed on the application that you have three program choices... I was thinking 1. NFO 2. Surface 3.? What else is there? Is the GPA really that important? What can I do to fix that weakness in my packet? Any info would be great. Has anyone ever heard of someone in my situation getting accepted? Am I wasting my time?
Thanks,
worried in Ohio

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Just a suggestion. Have you looked into the Marine Aviation Program? Not trying to steer you away from the Navy but the Marines are extremely hungry for pilots. I am going to Marine OCS in a few weeks on a pilot contract and am extremely excited. I applied Navy first and did not get in. Afterwards I researched the Marines, liked what I saw and applied.

I have nothing against the Navy but I have to say that I am glad that I've ended up going Marines because it is a much better fit for me. Just make sure you do your research and find out if it is a good fit for you.

Peace,

-Spin

helmet91

So the academic requirements are lower for the Marine Aviation Program? I had talked to a Marine a few years back about some program along those lines, but I'm not too sure if I could be a Marine. I'm enjoying the Navy right now in the Reserves, so I think I'd like to stick with it. When I talked to the recruiter yesterday he didn't say anything to disuade me from applying. I'm hoping that if he felt I didn't have a chance he wouldn't even deal with me? I know I could make an excellent officer, I just hope my GPA doesn't kill me when the board is looking at my application.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
From what I have been told, depending on how the rest of your package looks, Marines will not put as much of an emphasis on GPA. Obviously, if you have a not so steller package AND your GPA is not great you will not have a chance. My GPA was not horrible and at the same time not the greatest but as I have been out of school for sometime and have had significant work experience including running my own business, my GPA was probably not weighed as heavily as say someone who just graduated college. Again, you also must make sure that the Marine lifestyle is one for you. Follow your heart.

Peace,

-Spin

helmet91

So basically you're telling me my chances are slim? I was hoping that being in the Reserves and having those nominations would help out. I can get some good reference letters too. I've been working fulltime the past year (took some time off school) and I had a supervisory position. When they look at the GPA, are they looking at the cumulative or the GPA for my program? I guess I need to get a really good motivational statement going and study for the test.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Just focus on what you CAN change ... don't dwell on what cannot be changed. Like I said ... my GPA was not so steller so I busted my butt on the ASTB, PFT, etc.

E

eat_sleep_fly_guy

If you go marines, therse a 90% chance ull get a rotor slot. im tellin ya man.... they give out like 300-400 helo slots a year, 100 fighters in a good year, and like 50 prop, so if u wana fly helos go marines... of course there are exceptions

helmet91

well, it's been about a year since this original post...

my application package went out a month ago so i'm in a holding pattern right now.
as an update to what i posted last year:
my reference letters came from- two retired Navy Captains, my unit CO (LCDR), a LtCol (ANG) that i've known forever and the congressman i received the nominations from.

crossing my fingers....

stEAGLE

yeah good luck! When I spoke to a Navy Officer Recruiter last week, he told me the minimum GPA requirement for pilot was 2.0. I almost didn't believe him. However he didn't mention if there was a GPA requirement for OCS in general, but the GPA I got in school he said was more than enough so I didn't worry about it. Let me know what the results are on that app, it would be helpful for someone like me (considering OCS) to see what I may need to focus on.

confused_pilot

talked to a buddy of mine a couple weeks ago he just finished up primary at whiting... said they were offering garunteed TACAIR slots to people who did an interservice from naval aviation to marine naval aviator..... but then if sh!t hits the fan, you become a bullet sponge on the ground...

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
air junkie said:
..... but then if sh!t hits the fan, you become a bullet sponge on the ground...
:icon_rage

I can't believe you refer to Marines, or any other service member as a "bullet sponge". Way to support those hard charging ground pounders. If you said that in my presence I would turn you into a sponge.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
freshy said:
:icon_rage

I can't believe you refer to Marines, or any other service member as a "bullet sponge". Way to support those hard charging ground pounders. If you said that in my presence I would turn you into a sponge.

Damn, thought that anyone with a little amount of time in the military realizes that we chide each other on occasion? Simmer down, just messin w/ the Marines a little. Next time try telling him something funny back. Makes for a more interesting and less tense posting environment.:D

Besides, they're our little brothers, we're allowed to pick on em.

Department of the Navy
United States Marine Corps

Looks like that on the seal whenever I see it. :)

Oh yeah, good luck to you helmet.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
fc2spyguy said:
Damn, thought that anyone with a little amount of time in the military realizes that we chide each other on occasion? Simmer down, just messin w/ the Marines a little. Next time try telling him something funny back. Makes for a more interesting and less tense posting environment.:D

Besides, they're our little brothers, we're allowed to pick on em.

Department of the Navy
United States Marine Corps

Looks like that on the seal whenever I see it. :)

Oh yeah, good luck to you helmet.

I'm sorry. I guess after watching CNN today "bullet sponge" just rubbed me the wrong way. So if your gonna go ahead and "chide" (whatever that means) could you do it in more "funny" and "less tense" manner? :)

The Yellow Dart

What's the training pipeline like for Marine Aviation? I've got a good GPA, refernces, half a PPL, and lot of work experience.

Can you commission direct? Do they take most of their fixed-wing people from helos?

Status
Not open for further replies.