• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances?

BackOrdered

Contributor
How did I get drug into this?! The dude looks smart...he would probably get whatever he wants...as long as SWO isn't his first choice, who am I to complain?
SWO, Nuke, Supply...either way he won't be as cool as a Pilot...
Pickle

-edit- figured out how I got drug into it...but I stand by my statement!

Looked like you "bad gouged" my post. If you didn't, my bad.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I think it will come down to between SWO and NFO. What is the problem with SWO as first choice? I am just curious as to the reasons (not that SWO is my first choice).

Absolutely nothing if you did your research and discovered that is what you want to do.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Maybe you should have been a flight surgeon :D
I was almost a veterinarian...my degree is actually a BS in Animal Science...many a cow have felt these long fingers of freedom wrapped firmly around their cervix...funny how that prepared me well for the Navy...
Pickle

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...many a cow have felt these long fingers of freedom wrapped firmly around their cervix...funny how that prepared me well for the Navy...
Pickle
Ohhh Pickle, "M000000000..., you're irresistible, such a BULL, moooooo...ooooohhh!:D;)
Smiling Bull!.png
BzB

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think it will come down to between SWO and NFO. What is the problem with SWO as first choice? I am just curious as to the reasons (not that SWO is my first choice).

Thanks,
Ghost
You're on a pilot board, so naturally you won't find people steering you away from aviation.

However, you'll generally be working longer hours, sleeping a lot less, and working with a less talented wardroom as a SWO vice aviation or nuke. Plus the SWO/sub mentality of OJT vice a dedicated training (for the tactical and administrative stuff, which you still do as a nuke in both cases) pipeline can be mentally and emotionally tough on people during their first tours, as a result many of them lat xfer or leave tge Navy. As a SWO or submarine JO, you are likely to have a minor or administrative role in a lot of evolutions one would consider exciting or eventful, whereas in aviation you are the man in the cockpit, so there's little to make you feel like all the work is "worth it." Add on that when you stand watch you practically need the CO's permission to sneeze (I counted over 50 mando permission items in the standing orders), which significantly takes away the feeling of being the guy in charge that drives a lot of people to become Officers.

There are some CO's who are more willing to let their JO's step up to the plate. I got lucky with timing and had a bigger role in some things out of necessity, since my CO was so risk averse that there he wouldn't let over half the wardroom stand OOD in a benign environment and a DH always had to be on watch at all times to babysit anyway. Amazingly the former get higher wardroom retention, but as we keep hitting things we shouldn't be hitting expect it to become more rare.

brownshoe

Contributor
I was almost a veterinarian...my degree is actually a BS in Animal Science...many a cow have felt these long fingers of freedom wrapped firmly around their cervix...funny how that prepared me well for the Navy...
Pickle

Do you still have a glove that goes all the way to your shoulder?:)

Let’s see… cows with hunched backs, cow shit going everywhere… This a good description? Yup I’m a farm boy. If I wasn’t milking or making hay, I was cleaning up cow shit. The other dreaded chore… ensilage! :eek:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Yes to the gloved arm...used to eat McDonalds and write with my right hand while preg-checking or evaluating ovaries with the left...had a great Embryo Transfer class and lab...as far as DH training goes, I can cut the testicles off of most any mammal faster than you can write an e-mail...
Pickle

brownshoe

Contributor
Yes to the gloved arm...used to eat McDonalds and write with my right hand while preg-checking or evaluating ovaries with the left...had a great Embryo Transfer class and lab...as far as DH training goes, I can cut the testicles off of most any mammal faster than you can write an e-mail...
Pickle

We’d better be careful Pickle… Brett will “prune” our posts because they are irrelevant.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Pickle

Haha I was in the same boat...BS in Animal Science with veterinary school as the focus. Cows and cervix...NBD