• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinag12

Texas A&M Class of '06
Just writing to anyone that could possibly give me some advice. its a little long, so bear with me.

I recently discovered that the military is now accepting PRK waivers for pilots. I am already on the track to becomming an airline pilot, but I want to see my chances of getting a slot in flight school, either Navy or Marine Corps. Im gonna be a sophomore at Texas A&M, Im majoring in Aerospace Engineering with a 3.2 GPA, and i have my civilian commercial pilot and flight instructor licenses with about 280 hours. Im in decent shape physically, but could get my body rockin in a short time (ive done it before). If anyone could respond and let me know how likely i would be in getting a slot in flight school AND a PRK waiver at the same time.

Also, I know the Marines can garuntee flight school before signing, but will the Navy do any such thing, taking into account my current flight time and commitment to flying? Also, what are the best paths as far as commisioning to get into flight school (ROTC vs. OCS basically)?

Thanks a bunch! Gig em Aggies!!!

apendle

Well, the Navy does guarentee you a pilot billet, but it is up to you to pass. If the Navy helps in
paying for your degree, then your obligated to stay in the Navy if you somehow drop out of the
program at any time. If you pay for your own college, then if you drop you are out of the navy
completely. I was in your shoes a few years ago, and now I am guarenteed a pilot spot. Talk
to a recruiter about the BDCP program (Bachelor Degree Completion Program) If you are within
2 years of getting your degree, then the you could get into this program as a pilot/officer candidate.
It takes a long time to get picked up for this, so get started early. You'd be on active duty, getting paid plus housing. It really is a great program. Your flight experience and your major should really help you get into this program. Just remember nothing is guarneteed as far as getting your wings, you have to do the leg work(as with any other job) but the navy will hold a spot for you if you decide
you want it bad enough. Hope that helps, let me know if have questions (apendle@netscape.net)
My name is Adam, I'm from Los Angeles. Look forward to hearing from you.

sailorgloom

Originally posted by flyinag12
I recently discovered that the military is now accepting PRK waivers for pilots.

What source documents this waiver program? The last time I checked BUMED, waivers were granted for NFOs for PRK if and only if you received the PRK from the fleet (not civilian doctors) and participate in the test program.

http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive_surgery_information.htm has the latest information.

-SG

kevin

if you read this document it underlies the process for A)civilian accession and then nrotc and fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.