• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances of getting pilot slot

paul101

Ok. I recently took the ASTB and my scores are the following: 5/5/5/50. I was advised to retake the ASTB. However, by the time I submit my application I would have 15-20 hours of flight training. I also have 3.7+ GPA. Last quarter I had 4.0 so I do not know my current GPA. I have four years of prior military service. I served with the Army though so I do not know if it is a good thing. I had outstanding evaluation when I was a Non-Commissioned Officer in the Army and I could obtain excellent reference from an O-3. Am I a competitive applicant to get Pilot or even NFO?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok. I recently took the ASTB and my scores are the following: 5/5/5/50. I was advised to retake the ASTB. However, by the time I submit my application I would have 15-20 hours of flight training. I also have 3.7+ GPA. Last quarter I had 4.0 so I do not know my current GPA. I have four years of prior military service. I served with the Army though so I do not know if it is a good thing. I had outstanding evaluation when I was a Non-Commissioned Officer in the Army and I could obtain excellent reference from an O-3. Am I a competitive applicant to get Pilot or even NFO?

Paul, it's Christmas Eve so you get a Free Pass on asking the VERBOTEN question (ie What are my chances so drop that question like a hot potato because nobody knows).

Your GPA is very competitive and even though you made a mistake and joined the Army, it does count for something if you have good evals and can get someone in your prior Chain of Command to speak for you (via reference). Flight Training on your own is likely a waste of money unless you're trying to figure out if you like it. It shows motivation, but Naval Flight Training Syllabus wants you unfettered with bad habits until the Rock or someone else gets you at IFS. Your Officer Recruiter/OSO is best to advise you on whether to retake the ASTB. Their job is to process apllicants and advice you on what the boards are looking for in your package.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Outstanding GPA to go with a very average ASTB. Either you go to a cupcake, hippy school or you showed up hung over to the ASTB. Go get a new score. The rest is good unless you went and got fat after you discharged.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Do I know people that got picked up for pilot with similar (or worse) ASTB scores? Yes. Does that mean that you will? Who knows. I'd agree that those aren't the most competitive scores, but overall your package sounds pretty solid. It probably wouldn't hurt anything to retake the test, though you will never know what your chances are if you don't apply regardless.