• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances of becoming a Naval Aviator in my thirties?

Clux4

Banned
It's more that, as far as we can figure, it's just too long out of a classroom environment for some guys to adjust. Dudes who've been out in the Fleet have also been out of school for a while, and the go-at-your-own-pace online programs and the like don't help adjust back to a schoolhouse regimen. School skills atrophy. It's hard enough for a lot of kids fresh out of college to get into the eat-sleep-fly-study-repeat routine.

I wouldn't say API or the VT's are 'cramming' per se. Cramming is just learning something long enough to get it down on the test book, which is a different skill than what you need for the Program. Yeah, there's plenty of stuff you can brain-dump after API, but the material is only part of what we're trying to teach. The Program requires learning how to learn and retain a lot of esoteric material quickly and then use it under stress, and we're trying to help the studs learn how to do that. It means a shitload of time in the books, at least at first, until you find a more efficient rhythm that works for you personally.

I guess it really depends on the individual. I really did not study in college so I am not sure how my non-existent studying habit would have helped at API.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I have not been to API but from what I hear...

I guess it really depends on the individual. I really did not study in college so I am not sure how my non-existent studying habit would have helped at API.

I think actually going through API might put you in a better position to speak as to what is good preparation for API. Just sayin'.

I'm not saying "regular college does well, degree farms don't". The guys who didn't study in college and don't study when they get to P'cola typically don't do well either. I'm saying that the guys who have been out of any classrooms for a while often have a hard time jumping into the books for API and the VT's. We have student flight docs who struggle for the same reason. Skills atrophy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think actually going through API might put you in a better position to speak as to what is good preparation for API. Just sayin'.

I'm not saying "regular college does well, degree farms don't". The guys who didn't study in college and don't study when they get to P'cola typically don't do well either. I'm saying that the guys who have been out of any classrooms for a while often have a hard time jumping into the books for API and the VT's. We have student flight docs who struggle for the same reason. Skills atrophy.

FWIW, I did API, the entire TRACOM pipeline, RAG and 1st JO tour with a 10th grade education (those who know my story will understand), although 8+ years of fleet experience definitely gives you the upper hand on time managment and Navy-style test-taking and study skills. I would say that education, per se, is less important than time managment and study skills.

Brett

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Education is much less important than study discipline; time-management and study skills, as Brett says, plus efficiency - i.e., learning a pace that gets all the information into your noggin while not burning you out or forcing you to lose sleep, skip gym time or meals, etc.

In general, near as we can tell, where you went to school or your grades (or ASTB scores) seem to matter a lot less towards success in the Program than recent, structured classroom learning.

As I say, we had Docs (presumably highly-educated cats) who were flunking out of API because they'd been out of school so long they just couldn't force themselves back into a study routine or sideline the life stuff you tend to accumulate after you leave school. Same problem with priors who got their degrees online or from some other self-paced course. Most manage to adjust eventually, but more than a few can't. Sometimes the succesful adjustment doesn't happen until after accumulating a few pink sheets.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
we had Docs (presumably highly-educated cats) who were flunking out of API

Is this true? If so, I feel better about myself.

As one that never studied in college, I really didn't have a problem with API, save and except the Nav test in which I used the fuel flow of an F-14 for a T-34 by adding a zero on my whiz wheel and got back on deck with 14 lbs. of extra fuel and I thought that was legit. But, I'll chalk that one up to "lack of attention to detail".

It was the E-2 RAG that showed how weak my study-skills were.

aocharlie

The school I am going too has a good rep and the classes are small. However, you cram everything in 4 weeks. I personally don't mind the fast pace learning, and I would much rather do a class in 4 weeks than over a period of 3 or 4 months. I do see the point Uncle Fester is trying make, but I also think it is up to the individual going through flight school and how committed he really is to getting his wings. I think I would do just fine because it's something I really want. I love to fly...I would stick to the private sector,(might have to if I don't get the degree in time) but they don't fly in the mach range. Thanks for the pointers guys. I really appreciate it.